What would you like to see in Zoom V7 - Please post your suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suregeek,

Actually version 7 kicks butt. I wasn't able to auto log into BP with v6 but v7 did the trick. My problem now though is getting the search.php to actually search for something. Zoom indexed my group pages and created several files including one that's supposed to open a search box but nothing appears when I load it except text.

I tried using Flash to point to the search.php file zoom created but so far another dead in. I don't know enough about zoom just yet to figure out what's up.

Comment

BTW, Wrensoft has great support people. Raymond Leung replied to my email and walked me through the process of getting zoom to auto log into BP which worked like a charm. Although the software isn't made for indexing social sites it did in my case and that should speak volumes. Now if I could just get the search.php working I would purchase the PRO version, we have hundreds of files so I would start with the version that supports up to 200,000 files. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by SpokenFor View Post
        Still can't get zoom to index my group pages. I sent an email to you with login details. Hopefully you can figure out what I cannot. I am off to bed right now but will check back asap. Thanks in advance for all your help.
        Was able to index my group using v7 beta. It worked so well I am going to purchase the PRO version but still have to work out one small wrinkle and that is how to use Flash to send user input to PHP. Currently searching the net for answers.

Comment

Originally posted by SpokenFor View Post
          suregeek,

Actually version 7 kicks butt. I wasn't able to auto log into BP with v6 but v7 did the trick. My problem now though is getting the search.php to actually search for something. Zoom indexed my group pages and created several files including one that's supposed to open a search box but nothing appears when I load it except text.

I tried using Flash to point to the search.php file zoom created but so far another dead in. I don't know enough about zoom just yet to figure out what's up.
          I need to learn how to send the input variable to PHP hope the PHP file knows what to do with it.

Comment

Own pattern to add icon to indexed external web site?

It will be nice to have an option to add own pattern for example in "Scan options ->Scan Extensions" similar to "Recomended..." so we could add our own pattern based on web address and asign this way an icon to it. For example I'm workin on project based in many start points (local search engine) so when indexing youtube I'm not able to add an icon, If we have this option we will be able to add for example logo of indexed site.

Or maybe I missed something and all ready there is a way to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by isd View Post
              similar to "Recomended..."
              I'm sorry I was thinking about something else, I meant pattern based on word or part of url like in Categories

regards, isd

Comment

Hello,

If is not to late something like : "report this url to administrator" for each result wil be great option for those who index mutliple sites.

regards, isd

Comment

Originally posted by isd View Post

It will be nice to have an option to add own pattern for example in "Scan options ->Scan Extensions" similar to ["Categories"] so we could add our own pattern based on web address and asign this way an icon to it. For example I'm workin on project based in many start points (local search engine) so when indexing youtube I'm not able to add an icon, If we have this option we will be able to add for example logo of indexed site.

Or maybe I missed something and all ready there is a way to do so?
                  There isn't, and we'll keep this in mind. Probably the more practical way to achieve this would be to add the ability to specify thumbnails for Categories (so for each category under "Configure"->"Categories", there can be an extra field that specifies the thumbnails), rather than adding pattern related features to the scan extensions (which is already restricted by extensions and so, a bit confusing).
                  --Ray
                  Wrensoft Web Software
                  Sydney, Australia
                  Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I'd like a Mac version – fat binary – that could run on a PPC or Intel server.

Comment

We threw out our only PowerPC test machine about a year ago. Its been about 7 years since one was available for sale. Even Apple don't support PowerPC any more, so I don't think we will be supporting it in a new software package.

It will be Intel Mac's only I am afraid.

Comment

I would like to see an option to highlight the search term only in bold font instead of yellow highlighting...you know, like Google does it. If you search for "wrensoft" then Google results show the word "wrensoft" in bold text so you can see the search term but not as messy to look at as yellow highlighting.

Comment

Originally posted by jdaddy View Post
                          I would like to see an option to highlight the search term only in bold font
                          This is already possible. See this FAQ
                          http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/highlighting.html

You just need to edit this line of CSS.
                          <style type="text/css">.highlight { background: #FFFF40; }</style>
                          To get whatever look you desire.

Comment

I would love the option to show the domain url below the title and above the snippet in the result layout, as a boilerplate so you could get at it through css

Comment

You can enable the URL to be displayed under "Configure"->"Results Layout". By default, this appears below the context description.

To position this before the context description would be trickier. Modifying the PHP or ASP script code is one option (though not supported). Some CSS trickery to force the ".infoline" class to appear before the ".context" class is another. We'll have it on our list of things to consider for the future release but this is the first request for it.
                              --Ray
                              Wrensoft Web Software
                              Sydney, Australia
                              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Fair enough, thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X