No announcement yet.

What would you like to see in Zoom V7 - Please post your suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want more research of the zoom indexer in the offline sector.

I use the zoom for create cd's and dvd's with offline content of PDF
    but the meta tag of PDF are not very useful

And the naming of the file are not considered, in my case the file speak to me about the meta tag, a file like 000-020_description of the file_01010.pdf speak to me about the page of the file 000-020 tot. 20 the summary that the author give, like description of the file, and the Date of the document are 01/0/2010 simply but efficient. In Excel there is an utility for import the file like .csv or a contenent separate by a kind of special char and trasfor it in valid information like numer-date-text so then i can elaborate it.

There are in internet varios utility like directory lister pro, html dir etc... who make usefoul html list of the file inside an archive and navigate in an html/xml structure for find the page/iinformation is very good toghether a search engine

so i want more power, of index search respect the off line content and various kind of extract the information like the meta-tag

bye

p.s. sorry for my bad english...
    Last edited by tommyk; Nov-16-2010, 10:38 AM.

Comment

tommyk, I am not sure what you are asking for exactly.

We already index PDF meta data, PDF file names and PDF content. Plus you can define your own meta data outside of the PDF if required using a .desc file. This is done in spider mode and offline mode.

Your post seems to be partial rehash of a post you made a couple of months ago, which we answered.

Comment

yes, i read the answer, in definitive, is difficoult for me, but i don't have time to put a .desc in every folder and for every files. and i can't put a meta description inside a PDF, my job is fast and when i put a document or scan them i naming the file in this mode to have a talking file that befour open give me some information, like the pages of the document, thedescription, e the real date (not the date of modification or better the date of creation of the file, that is insense for me).

so my trick is to put the meta information directly in the name of the file.. because i don't write aniting zoom meta information inside the pdf with a signature

My request, if possible, is to generate automatically a .desc and take the meta information directly from the name of the file, i think, and then indexing... because in this mode i have the real date of the document that is write inside the pdf and also another meta information that is equal at the naming of the file, like the number of protocol or other to customize in the naming of the file separated with a special char, so i can categorized them and ordinate with the date write inside of the document, this and to generate a compresive list in HTML with a tabulate list of the meta tag an hyperlink that the people can click or print

i hope you understend the need of this to eliminate some process that now i do manually

thanks for your patience
        Last edited by tommyk; Nov-18-2010, 12:47 PM.

Comment

I still don't fully understand your requirements. But from the bit I do understand, it sounds like your requirements are very particular to your site and your way of naming files. It doesn't sound like a feature that would be of benefit to any other user. What I think you need to do it write a small script (in Perl for example) to auto process your files in bulk.

Comment

Hi I would like to see some more meta options for the search form.

1. Ability to have the "Search criteria method" be chosen by the end user. So if I have a meta name called count, on the search page the end user could search by count and then pick from a down the criteria method (less than or greater than as example) As it is now If I wanted to have the user do this I would need to create multiple fields.

2. Meta type of Date. A nice touch would be a date picker on the search form. Search for date greater than, less than as an example.

Thanks

Comment

Date range (and date picker) will definitely be included in the next release.

Comment

Re::::

I would like a website preview plugin. There should be a image on the left of each result showing the current website view. Also, there should be a button where users can preview the webpage when they click on it.

I you can add some sponsored links plugin, that would be great as well.

Also, if you can add the cached plugin, so when users click on the cached button. It comes up with all the words that are being searched highlighted.
                Last edited by hinsmart; Feb-23-2011, 03:25 AM.
                Kind regards,
                Tsui Jenkin
                President of Hinsmart (hinsmart.com)

Comment

PS* Advanced search form, for example: the search form should include what exact word, only title and/or content, what category...
                  Kind regards,
                  Tsui Jenkin
                  President of Hinsmart (hinsmart.com)

Comment

Specific topic tags in a stop list

I'd really like to see a "Tag Stop List" (set up in the .zcfg file) that would allow me to avoid the use of the <!--ZOOMSTOP--> and <!--ZOOMRESTART--> tags in each topic and for each tag.

For example, we ignore the <H1> headings in every topic, so that it does not appear in the context description (it only duplicates the title that already appears in the results). We also ignore some "online-only" navigation sections, which also would interfere with the context descriptions.

Two problems:
                    • The writers tend to "misplace" (eliminate or move) either the STOP or the RESTART.
                    • Our RoboHelp editor tends to "misplace" (eliminate, move, or repeat) either the STOP or the RESTART.

Ideally, there would be a Start/Stop protocol to this stop list: ignore all content between "<h1" and "</h1>" or between "<?rh-cbt_start " and "<?rh-cbt_end ?>".

Thx,
                    Leon

Comment

indexing options - html tags and hyphens

I am new with Zoom so perhaps my observations are incorrect. But if not, then for version 7, I have two suggestions I think should be easy to implement:
                      1) I have a website that uses chemical formulas with superscripts and subscripts. It appears that Zoom is replacing those tags with spaces during the indexing. For example, <sup>13</sup>CC<sub>11</sub>H<sub>15</sub>NO<sub>8</sub> becomes 13 CC 11 H 15 NO 8. I am looking for an option that would ideally allow me to enter in html tags that would be replaced with an empty string rather than a space, or at least have a global option to specify if all tags are replaced with a space or just eliminated. I realize in this example that the user would need to enter the formula as 13CC11H15NO8 and that I could provide my own meta tag, but I have thousands of superscripts and subscripts in product names and formulas and would just like that the sup and sub tags (or all tags) be stripped not replaced with a space during the indexing.
                      2) Hyphens (and some other punctuation marks) are critical on our site. In addition to the 2 choices of either transforming a word like web-site into website or splitting it into web and site, I would like a third option that a specific character can be taken as a literal and treated as any other indexable character, so web-site would remain exactly web-site.

Comment

Originally posted by nmyers View Post
                        1) I have a website that uses chemical formulas with superscripts and subscripts. ... I could provide my own meta tag, but I have thousands of superscripts and subscripts in product names and formulas and would just like that the sup and sub tags (or all tags) be stripped not replaced with a space during the indexing.
                        We already have a distinction between certain inline tags and block tags, but <sup> and <sub> was not in the list of inline tags (so that they'll be stripped out and not break the word). It's simple enough to do, so we'll definitely be adding this to V7.

Originally posted by nmyers View Post
                        2) Hyphens (and some other punctuation marks) are critical on our site. In addition to the 2 choices of either transforming a word like web-site into website or splitting it into web and site, I would like a third option that a specific character can be taken as a literal and treated as any other indexable character, so web-site would remain exactly web-site.
                        When hyphens are enabled for word joining ("Configure"->"Indexing options"), then the occurence of a word like "web-site" should be indexed as "web-site" and only match a search for "web-site", and not "website" or "web site".
                        --Ray
                        Wrensoft Web Software
                        Sydney, Australia
                        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

sup and sub tags

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                          We already have a distinction between certain inline tags and block tags, but <sup> and <sub> was not in the list of inline tags (so that they'll be stripped out and not break the word). It's simple enough to do, so we'll definitely be adding this to V7.
                          I am guessing V7 is a ways off, is it possible to get a patch that includes the sup and sub tags in the list of inline tags?
                          Last edited by nmyers; Mar-02-2011, 11:20 PM. Reason: mispell

Comment

Just to confirm that we'll be adding support for inline <sub> and <sup> tags to the next V6 patch release (V6 build 1026).
                            --Ray
                            Wrensoft Web Software
                            Sydney, Australia
                            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Search Multiple Indexes

Ir would be most useful to have the ability to search more than one index simultaneously via the search form.

<option value="D:\htdocs\Index\FR_2011,D:\htdocs\Index\FR_ 2010,D:\htdocs\Index\OSHA_pubs,D:\htdocs\\Index\Wo rkplace_Chemicals" selected=1>

Select Index(s) to Search</i>
                              <input type="checkbox" value="D:\htdocs\Index\29CFR1910" name="index"> 29 CFR - Part 1910
                              <input type="checkbox" value="D:\htdocs\\Index\29FR" name="index" > Federal Register Documents (Labor) 1993 to present-->

The document collection grows every day but we need to be able to maintain multiple search indexes for each collection yet main tain the ability to search one or all. Using catagories would require that we index the entire dataset each day.

Comment

subscript and superscript

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                                Just to confirm that we'll be adding support for inline <sub> and <sup> tags to the next V6 patch release (V6 build 1026).
                                Thank You!

Comment

Working...
                                X