No announcement yet.

File sizes for Binary files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem was partially solved in the 1006 release ... For example, I have a file that Zoom says 11,353,346k but the file is only 11,353,346 bytes - without the "k" unit. All file sizes are wrong in this way.

Hope you will corect this in the next release !

Comment

ecoca - that bug was fixed in V6.0.1005, and I've just double checked against every platform (PHP, ASP, JS, CGI) with the latest build (V6.0.1006) and I do not see the problem.

Are you sure you're not using an old copy of the search script with the new index files? Please make sure to update ALL necessary files when you re-index, which includes "search.php" (if you are using the PHP version).

If you still see the problem, ZIP up your search files and send them to us. But I'm betting it's because you're using old files.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I'm very sorry, but you are WRONG (don't bet you will lose) ! The bug was partially corrected in the 1006 release (with the release 1005 the file lenghts where 0k OR 1k). I've installed the latest version and deleted all old files (scripts and databases) before launching a new indexing operations. I list bellow the results obtained (with release 1007) with both PHP and JS scripts - you may see the differences (lenghts in JS are correct now):

PHP:

1. Article - RFID - A Basic Introduction to RFID Technology and its use in the supply chain.pdf
        Terms matched: 2 - Score: 47 - 13 Feb 2008 - 877,560k
        2. Article - Reuters Business Insights Pharmaceutical Anti Counterfeiting Strategies RFID.pdf
        Terms matched: 2 - Score: 31 - 12 Jan 2009 - 870,700k
        3. Article - RFID Applications Impacts and Country Initiatives OECD 2008.pdf
        Terms matched: 2 - Score: 31 - 10 Jan 2009 - 323,773k
        4. Article_RFID_Security_and_Privacy_A_Survey_2005.pd f
        Terms matched: 2 - Score: 31 - 8 Jan 2009 - 642,641k

JS:

1. Article - RFID - A Basic Introduction to RFID Technology and its use in the supply chain.pdf
        Terms matched: 2 - Score: 47 - 13 Feb 2008 - 857k
        2. Article - Effects of metallic plate size on the performance of microstrip patch-type tag antennas for passive RFID.pdf
        Terms matched: 2 - Score: 31 - 23 Dec 2007 - 393k
        3. Article - EPCglobal2 UHF RFID Protocol V109 12-2005.pdf
        Terms matched: 2 - Score: 31 - 12 Oct 2007 - 4035k
        4. Article - Quazi-Fractal Antennas For Rfid Systems Operating In The Ism 2.45 Ghz And 5.8 Ghz Bands.pdf
        Terms matched: 2 - Score: 31 - 16 Feb 2008 - 220k

And with the latest release 1007 I have differences in search results between the PHP and JS versions (with the same files and the same settings) - with the same search word, the results are not the same. Is this normal ?

Comment

I'm gonna have to stick with my bet but feel free to prove me wrong and send us your files (link in my previous post).

Check if you have configured to use a custom copy of the search script (on the "Advanced" panel of the Configure tab, theres an option to "Specify my own path for the script source code"). If you have this selected, you would be using your own copy of the script placed elsewhere, and not the latest one that came included with the new update.

Second thing to check - are you uploading your files with Zoom or a third party FTP client? If you are doing the latter, are you uploading and overwriting the "search.php" file after re-indexing?
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

1. There is no check on that option "Custom ... " in Advances options tab. In fact it is checked only "Do not show ..." in that menu.

2. All things are done locally, the files are stored locally, the search script are local, there are no http of ftp activities (the indexing is done on the server, only the client search is remote).

3. search.php files has the date 19.01.2009 and the time 14:44.

You, and any user, may see the differences between the two result versions using any files not necessary mine ...

Why are the results with PHP and JS different with all the files and the settings the same ?
            Last edited by ecoca; Jan-21-2009, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ecoca View Post
              You, and any user, may see the differences between the two result versions using any files not necessary mine ...
              I've said before that I've tried to reproduce this several times now. I also repeated the test with my last post using the latest build. So I've done this 3 times for PHP, and twice for ASP, CGI, and JS. The point is that I cannot reproduce the problem and that is why I asked you for your files.

If you do not want to send me the files then I can't look at the problem no matter how much you insist.

Originally posted by ecoca View Post
              Why are the results with PHP and JS different with all the files and the settings the same ?
              This is normal. Search results with the same score are not guaranteed to be ranked the same on different platforms. The different platforms have different sorting algorithms, and we used what was most efficient and practical for that particular scripting platform.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I cannot send you hundreds of megabytes over Internet and some files are not for public release.

Please post on this forum two search results you obtained (only 2 or 3 results) with PHP and JS, on the same files for me to compare with the results I obtained and posted on this forum. Thanks !

P.S. This is a public forum - can anyone test the program by setting some PDF files as "binary" and indexing some locally (without their content) by chosing PHP and running the code on a web server ? Are the file sizes reported correctly ?
                Last edited by ecoca; Jan-21-2009, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I cannot send you hundreds of megabytes over Internet and some files are not for public release
                  I don't see the problem. Just index 1 file from your collection.

We have already looked at this numerous times now and don't plan to spend any more time on it unless you want to co-operate and send us some of the details we asked for.

Comment

Please tell me what should I have to send to you and how (by E-mail ?).

Later edit:

No necessary to inverstige more . my fault ... sorry ! In the search folder on the server I've created one file called index.php - in fact a copy of search.php (the version from 19dec200. Everything is working right now from this point of view !

Thanks !
                    Last edited by ecoca; Jan-21-2009, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X