File sizes for Binary files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File sizes for Binary files

I have some directories with PDF files and I have to display filenames and fisizes (I don't need the PDF files content). Trying to do this, I set up the option to consider PDF files as Binary ones, but the program did not index the sizes (0 k displayed). Is something wrong with my settings ?

It might be better to treat them as PDF files, but instead turn off indexing of the document content.

Comment

I don't see any option to do this (to treat pdf files as pdf files and not to scan thier contents) - could you guide me (I bought the latest vesion) ?

Comment

In the scan options panel, add the extension .PDF
        In the indexng options panel turn off page content.

Comment

I'm sorry but this is not the solution. The program is still opening EVERY pdf file using the PDF plugin ... I do not want the program to open the pdf files (as they are huge) because the indexing takes indefinitely long time to complete.

Comment

From your first post I thought the problem was just a display problem. Not an indexing speed issue.

It is not alway possible to get the file size from a HTTP server before actually downloading the file. And we didn't implment any feature to index files without downloading them.

Comment

My bad - I forgot to mention that the indexing is done locally !

Comment

To reformulate the problem, in order to make all clear:

I have many folders with many PDF, DOC, EXE, ZIP and CHM files (some files are more than 100 MBytes long). I need to search only filenames within all these directories. The indexing is done locally. I have to display in the search result filenames and sizes. There is no need to search within the files.

I'm using the latest 6.0 professional version.

Can anyone indicate the setings I have to put in Zoom to obtain the desired result ?

Thanks for help !
                Last edited by ecoca; Jan-09-2009, 05:00 PM.

Comment

While it should be possible to do what you are suggesting in V6. (treat .DOC and .PDF files as binary .EXE files, it is not a scenario that we have actually tested.

We can have a look at this next week.

Comment

This was the only reason I've bought the program ... to do this very simple task. Hope for me you will solve the problem in the next version. Thanks !

P.S. If it is permitted, a suggestion for future versions: you may include the options for what to index just in the Configuration menu in Scan options (title, content, header, meta-tags, etc.) separatelly for every type of file (as a scenario, you may have to index the content for DOC files and only the filename and size for the rest).
                    Last edited by ecoca; Jan-09-2009, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ecoca View Post
                      I have many folders with many PDF, DOC, EXE, ZIP and CHM files (some files are more than 100 MBytes long). I need to search only filenames within all these directories. The indexing is done locally. I have to display in the search result filenames and sizes. There is no need to search within the files.
                      To do this, you should click on "Scan Options" on the Configure tab and add each of these extensions (remove them first if they are already there) making sure to specify each one with a "File type" of "Binary (Filename only)".

This will allow these files to be indexed and displayed just by their filenames and filesizes.
                      --Ray
                      Wrensoft Web Software
                      Sydney, Australia
                      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

This is the configuration I've tried for the first time - starting with a blank cfg and adding only .PDF files as binary ones. It is not working ... sorry. Have you tried this with the lastest version of Zoom (1005) ?
                        Last edited by ecoca; Jan-13-2009, 04:46 PM.

Comment

You're right, it's reporting all binary files to have a filesize of 1kb.

We'll fix this in the next release.
                          --Ray
                          Wrensoft Web Software
                          Sydney, Australia
                          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Is there possible to estimate a date for this fix ?

Comment

It should be available by early next week. We are just accumulating a number of fixes together.
                              --Ray
                              Wrensoft Web Software
                              Sydney, Australia
                              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                              X