PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

v.8 Task Scheduling: Where are paths to Zoom configuration files stored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v.8 Task Scheduling: Where are paths to Zoom configuration files stored?

Our IT department recently decided to remap local user My Documents folders to Microsoft cloud Onedrive. This broke all the paths to Zoom configuration files I had in my local folder. I need to reschedule the tasks in Windows Task Scheduler to point to the new location.

I had no problem declaring new paths to Zoom config. files in Microsoft Task Scheduler, but not in the "Zoom Scheduler" dialog, where I can only edit the time. Apparently Zoom maintains its own list of scheduled tasks, because the updated paths in Windows Task Scheduler are not being displayed in the Zoom Scheduler dialog, which contains the old, and now broken path.

Is there a Zoom config. file that I can edit directly to remove this inconsistency? If not, how can I reestablish consistent display of paths for scheduled tasks?
    Richard

Zoom's built in scheduler will only lists tasks with a name containing "Zoom Scheduler". Perhaps your other tasks did not have this in the name?
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

No the tasks are named as Zoom creates them with the "Schedule automatic indexing", all prefixed with "Zoom Scheduler - ".

Don't know if the following is related to my issue, but here are the results of some experimenting that may put you on the right track:

I notice that a new task created with Zoom, as seen from the Windows 10 Task Scheduler "General tab" in the task properties dialog box, is configured by default for "Windows Server (tm) 2003, Windows (r) XP, or Windows (r) 2000. If you change this with the Windows 10 Task Scheduler to, any other platform, say "Windows 10", the task no longer appears when you open in Zoom again the "Schedule automatic indexing" dialog.

The task remains in the Windows 10 Task Scheduler list, however. I think I recollet this also happening if you change certain other properties with Windows 10 Task Scheduler, but I have no time to test beyond the "configuration" property.
      Now if you go back in to Zoom and create exactly the same task again, then open Windows 10 Task Scheduler, Windows 10 Task Scheduler does not display the new task created in Zoom, only the old one whose configuration was changed in Windows 10 Task Scheduler.

So I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of naming conflict going on between the two applications, as the same task created twice in Zoom was concatenated, presumably, with the same name by Zoom.

Also noticed that having changed the config setting in Task Scheduler for any task created via Zoom, if you want go back in the to default platform setting initially created by Zoom, you can't, as it no longer appears as an option in the Task Scheduler "Configured for" drop-down list.
      Richard

Comment

We've confirmed your notes above.

As I mentioned above, we haven't really touched the Scheduler for a while. And evidently a large number of changes have occurred with the changing versions of Windows.

Having discussed the problem internally, we don't believe there's enough reason to keep the Scheduler feature in Zoom, if it just means we're having to regularly match the features made available in the Windows Task Scheduler. It would seem to make more sense to just update our documentation to advise users how to schedule Zoom using the Windows Task Scheduler, than to provide a limited front end interface to it. Note that there is nothing you can do with the Zoom Task Scheduler that you can't do with the Windows Task Scheduler. And you can do alot more with the latter.

As such, our plan now is to remove the Task Scheduler from Zoom in a later release, and also update our documentation.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Greetings Ray,

I agree with your decision to drop the Task Scheduler configuration interface in Zoom, for the reasons you stated. A shortcut to open a new task in the Windows Task Scheduler would be fine, as a minimum.

Even better, though, would be a way for Zoom users to store any number of Windows Task Scheduler shortcuts in the Zoom config. file, and have a Zoom menu item that displays the shortcuts as clickable links, so that we can just open the task directly in Windows Task Scheduler.
          Richard

Comment

Working...
          X