Year range only within a document body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year range only within a document body

I run a genealogical Association website. The dates within our documents range from the 14th century to now. These are expressed as years within the body of the document, i.e. 1850 , 1851 etc. What I wish to do is when someone is searching for a name i.e. John Smith, they can either enter a number range for a year figure that appears in the body of the document i.e. search year numbers between 1700 and 1800, so that only documents that contain a number from 1700 to 1800 within the body will appear in the results.
    Please note I am not talking about meta data in the head or the date of creation of the document but a year number within the body of the document.

Is there a way of adding a search box etc. where it will filter searches to only return results if the body of the document contains a number within a certain range of numbers. It doesn't have to be recognized as a date, just a range of numbers between a starting and finishing number e.g. such as numbers between 1700 and 1800 etc.

Originally posted by simonpg View Post
    Please note I am not talking about meta data in the head or the date of creation of the document but a year number within the body of the document.
    If it is just a year number within the body of the document, then how will the indexer identify the text as being of significance?

If you wish to do something like this, you have to add custom meta field tags with the value. E.g.

<meta name="pubdate" content="1750">

Then you can add the custom meta field configuration into Zoom and set to search for "Less than" or "Greater than". If you wish to specify a range, you can add a second field with the same value, much like what this other user described here.

More information on custom meta fields here:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...ta_fields.html
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X