Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of categories defined on an index

Hi there,

I have a Zoomseach index I am searching against.
    There there a call I can make on the index, or some other way I can get a list of the categories that are defined against that index?

The index I am working with is a CGI one, and I am returning the results in XML format.

Any help appreciated thanks!

Yes, if you call the search.cgi with "?zoom_xml=1&masternode=1" as HTTP GET parameters, you will get the OpenSearch channel response which return all the settings including the list of Categories.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

That's great thanks.

Are the order they are in the array the number of the category if I want to search just that category?
      e.g.
      <zoom:category>Document</zoom:category> = "zoom_cat=0"
      <zoom:category>News</zoom:category> = "zoom_cat=1"
      <zoom:category>Page</zoom:category> = "zoom_cat=2"

Also, is there any documentation on the available params and the function?
      I couldn't find any reference to the "masternode" param.

Is there param that will also provide the break down of the number of results in each/other category?

e.g. I do a search on the "page" category, is there away for the result XML to inform me of how many other results there are in "News" and "Document" categories?

Thanks
      Last edited by davidharris; Aug-15-2019, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Yes, the category number is the order they have been specified in the Zoom configuration (starting at zero).

"Masternode" was a discontinued product. It allowed you to aggregate search results from multiple Zoom search functions / indexes, as well as any OpenSearch supported nodes. Masternode would call the Zoom CGI with this parameter to obtain configuration information where available. It is not an officially supported parameter in the Zoom product. So this is really an easter egg feature.

There also used to be a Zoom SDK product with full documentation for integrating Zoom with other applications or more involved websites/apps. This included file format specs for the Zoom Configuration file (ZCFG), documentation for the XML parameters and responses, and full C/C++ source code of the CGI.

Both products were unfortunately discontinued as they proved to be not commercially viable to provide the level of deep technical support required, for the limited amount of sales generated.

e.g. I do a search on the "page" category, is there away for the result XML to inform me of how many other results there are in "News" and "Document" categories?
        There's a <zoom:categorySummary> returned after a search, much like what you'd see in the normal HTML response.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

Thanks for taking the time to help!

That easter egg is a great help thanks!

When I'm doing a standard search, I'm not seeing the "zoom:categorySummary" node any where.
          Is there a config setting I am missing somewhere?

Thanks!

Comment

You need to enable "Show category breakdown in search results" (under "Configure"->"Categories")
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

I've finally gotten back to look at this.

I have turned that setting on when I perform the indexing process, but when I perform the search in cgi, returning XML packet, I can't find the "zoom:categorySummary" in the results packet.

Do I need to pass a param when I do the search in the XML?

Thanks!

Comment

It will also only appear if the search query being used actually has results in more than one category. Otherwise I can't imagine any other reason it's not showing.
                If the search CGI is accessible over the Internet, you can DM me the URL and I will take a look.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

Thanks for that.

What's the best way to get hold of you directly?

Comment

If you send an email via the Contact Us link at PassMark software addressing me, it will get forwarded to me.

You can also direct message / private message me here in the forum.
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                    X