Adjoining Punctuation Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjoining Punctuation Marks

There is significant usage of adjoining speech marks and quotation marks on our website. Is there a way to configure zoom to ignore these.
    e.g. I noted that a search for 'public' was not returning the results I expected. This was due to the fact that in a number of instances public was written as 'Public notices' - I noted that these pages were not being returned, however when I searched 'public it was included in the returns. I really don't want to have to leave a space between these punctuation marks and the text as it would not look good. We've checked and it doesn't make any difference if an html character entity ( ‘ ) or a single quotation mark ( ' ) is used in the html.

Quotation marks should already be ignored in searches.

Check your word joining rules (under "Configure"->"Indexing options") but even when single quote or apostrophe are allowed to join words (like the word: don't), it would not affect something like your example ('Public notices').

I think there's likely something else wrong, for example, if you have modified the search script in some way that has affected functionality. Let us know if that's the case.

Also would help if you can give us a link to your search page and we can take a closer look.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I'd already looked at the indexing rules and we have 'Apostrophes' checked, however that section relate to joining words and not characters at either end of a word. We have tested the functionality and 'don't' is returned correctly.
      I don't believe that the search script has been modified
      The site we run is an extranet and you would need to register to access our search page. I could send the search files over if that would help.

Comment

Yes zip up the search files (the files listed at the end of indexing in a window entitled, "Required Files") and email them to us.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I have just sent the zip files to you relating to this post - Many thanks Andy

Comment

This behaviour for apostrophe characters has now been updated in V8.0 build 1008.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X