Ignoring Boolean search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignoring Boolean search

I've just deployed an instance of ZOOM at theretrosearch.com (this has been a major exercise for me just in passing due to the size of the index) - search does not appear to be respecting Boolean operators. If I try a search on "z80 OR zilog" (ignore the quotes) from the top right search box the results don't appear to reflect this. Check the highlighted words in the results. Also check that its returning lots of rows, 13714 to be precise, because its doing a search for OR I suspect. This uses the CGI version of ZOOM - ver 7.1 build 1022. Any clues please.

Zoom has never supported "AND" or "OR" as keyword operators.

This has always required specification by HTTP GET parameters in the form of zoom_and=1 (AND) and zoom_and=0 (OR)

This is how the "Match any word" and "Match all words" feature works on your Advanced Search Form here:
    http://theretrosearch.com/advanced_search.cfm

Yes, your search page is currently searching for the keyword "OR" in such a query. If you wish to stop this, you can add the word "or" and "and" in your Skip Word list.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Ray - I've misunderstood the help even though I configured my advanced search page to work just the way you describe and as you pointed out. Thank you!!!

Comment

Thanks again Ray - just thought I'd revisit my settings following your advice. The words "and" and "or" are in the word skip list but in lower case in fact they're the top 2 default words already loaded by ZOOM. Skip words less than is also set to 2. I just retested my search with a lower case or and the results were the same. Is there a difference between not indexing the word but still showing it in search results. Thank you!!!

Comment

Case sensitivity would depend on "Configure"->"Languages"->"Support single-case languages". Uncheck this to make sure words are handled as case insensitive.

Taking a second look at your search page, I also noticed you must have enabled "Substring match for all searches".

Doing so means that "or" is matching "color" (and even "memory", "processor", "for"), and "and" is matching "sand", etc.

This would be why you're seeing the results you are. Note the highlighting of "or" and "and" is just incidental, they're not the actual words being matched.

We generally do not recommend the "Substring match" setting except for Asian languages (where there are no spaces between words). It causes alot of confusion with matches such as what you see above. Generally it's better for end users to use wildcards if they need to, e.g. searching for "Z80*"

Or consider setting up the synonyms list with common terminology (e.g. "Z80=Z80A,Z80B")

--Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
          X