Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spelling Suggestions Library

Hello,

I was wondering where the words used in the spelling suggestions are derived. Are they from a pre-determined library or from Zoom indexing the site? If Zoom indexing the site, is there a key piece of data that is used to create the library, such as meta-description or keywords?

Thanks,
    Marc

The suggestions are derived from the words indexed on your website. So they are actual words that have been found on your site (and it will tend to suggest the more common ones).

Meta description and keywords will contribute to the suggestions, since they are also words indexed.

If you have a list of words of common misspelling/corrections that you want to suggest, you should try using the Synonyms feature to associate the words.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Ray.

Is there a way to reset the library of words used in spelling suggestions? I have one word that I've been trying to locate on the pages that come up with the suggested word, but that word does not exist. When we search using "disese" the only suggestion we get is "Disea". When we click that link we get two results, but search the source for both pages show no word "Disea". I'm wondering if the word "Disease" was truncated somewhere on our page during one indexing, then I possibly fixed the issue so it doesn't appear. But subsequent indexes do not clear that word.

Also, we're trying to understand why we don't get "disease" back as a suggested word even though there are plenty of those words on the site.

Thanks,
      Marc

Comment

Can you check which version and build you are using? (Click "Help"->"About") and make sure you are updating ALL the required files at the end of indexing (including the script and settings file, "search.php" and "settings.php" if you are using the PHP version).

Also confirm which Platform you are using (PHP, ASP, CGI, etc.)

It may be a bug that the stemmed word (from the stemming feature) is showing up in the spelling suggestions. But I am not aware of this in the current build. You may also be able to confirm if this is the case by turning off the stemming feature ("Configure"->"Languages" and reindexing) and seeing if this changes the behaviour.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

We're using V 6.0 Build 1029.

I have Zoom installed on our DEV server and the files are placed right in the directory we are using for searches. We're using the cgi version.

I turned off stemming and re-indexed. Same issue still exists. I also deleted the zdat files so they would be recreated. Same issue happens again.

I think that word might exist on the site because something might be getting truncated, such as the title. I just don't see it for the two pages that it finds, so that's why I'm scratching my head wondering how this is happening.

Comment

I did find one instance where turning off stemming help the spelling suggestions.

With stemming turned on, the words "Multiple Schlerosis" resulted in spelling suggestion of "multipl scholarship".

Without stemming, then it would be "multiple scholarship". The "e" is multiple is excluded in the stemming version. Interesting enough, it went with scholarship instead of sclerosis in both.

Comment

Can you link us to the two pages it found? We can take a closer look.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
              X