V6 does not display results of one page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 does not display results of one page

I have a large DW5.5 site using templates. Words on new page cannot be found in a search, although I see the page name in zoom.pageinfo.js and the words in zoom.index.js. The "zoom start" comments in the page's source code are exactly the same as in all other pages.

Can anyone help?

After adding new content to your web site, you need to update the search index.

If you are sure you have updated the index, then maybe you haven't copied the index to the correct location on your server to replace the old index?

Is this site online somewhere where we can see it? If so can you let us know the URL of the search function and the URL for the missing page.

Comment

The site is http://btmemories.com

The page for which results are not displayed is http://btmemories.com/articles/people/ken_tredwell/tredwell.html

All the zoom files are in the site's root directory.

Thanks.

Comment

I had a look and confirmed that page was not indexed. This is why it is not returning in the search results.

See this FAQ:
        Q. I am indexing with spider mode but it is not finding all the pages on my web site

You can check if a page is indexed by looking in the Log after indexing, or by using the feature under the "Index" menu->"Manage existing index"->"View or delete pages from existing index".

The main reason, in your case, is that your site relies on JavaScript navigation menus. There are no text links that spiders can crawl to navigate, which make it spider unfriendly (and difficult to browse on some internet kiosks or phones where JS is not available).

You can consider either:
        (a) Making a site map page which contain text links to ALL the pages of your site, which would be a pretty cumbersome task judging by the size of your site
        (b) Use a navigation menu which is spider friendly and offers text links when JS is not available.
        (c) Best option -- It seems like your entire site is static HTML and does not have any dynamic PHP pages. In which case, you should be able to use Offline Mode and index the files directly off your hard disk. This does not require any need to crawl the links on the pages and ensures that all pages will be indexed. Look up Offline Mode in the Users Guide for more details.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I have tried both the spider and offline methods with the same results. I'll try offline again. By the way, if you do any further testing, there are a couple of key words on the new page that are unique to the site: BBC, Madden.

Comment

On another note, I get the "template has a different charset" error message, but my template HAS the correct charset. Here's the line of code:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" />

What can I do about that?

Comment

The different charset error message refers to the settings in the indexer (in the 'Languages' configuration window) being different from the charset in the search_template.html file. They should be the same, if they are not you can get garbled output.

Comment

Working...
              X