Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer from one computer to another

Hi,

I've reviewed the forum but couldn't find a post related to my specific issue.

I'm trying to transfer zoom from one computer (Windows XP) to another computer (Windows 7). I zipped the Program Files\Zoom Search Engine 6.0 folder (containing the .exe) and I also zipped the All Users\ApplicationData\Wrensoft folder. I have a lot of customizations

I transferred them to the new computer and unzipped the folder containing the .exe. When trying to run the .exe file I received an error:

"Error during startup.
    A problem has occurred with your installation.
    You may need to uninstall and reinstall the software.
    Contact www.wrensoft.com for support.
    Startup Error Number: 1"

The version I have on my old computer is
    Professional Edition
    Version 6.0 (build1019)

The instructions on your site said to first uninstall from the old computer then reinstall it on the new computer. Is this what's causing my issue?

Thanks in advance..

Originally posted by JG867 View Post
    The instructions on your site said to first uninstall from the old computer then reinstall it on the new computer. Is this what's causing my issue?
    Yes. Zipping and just moving the program files from one computer to another will not work, and is not advised. In fact, this will rarely work for most programs for Windows.

If you have made customizations, then zip up and copy your customizations. I can only think of a few things needed:

(a) Your .zcfg configuration file
    (b) Your .zlang language files (C:\ProgramData\Wrensoft\Zoom Search Engine Indexer\lang)
    (c) Your customized scripts (which you've either specified a custom path to and you're saving it in your own choice of folders, or you've modified the default source code under C:\ProgramData\Wrensoft\Zoom Search Engine Indexer\scripts)

I can't think of much else unless you've modified the "extras" folder as well.

So you should uninstall, and reinstall, then copy those customized files in place.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Ok, thanks, I'm glad the error message was expected and wasn't caused by anything serious.

To confirm, the process is:

--Zip all customizations and copy to new computer.

--Uninstall Zoom from my old computer.

--Reinstall Zoom on my new computer. Is it possible to download the exact version I have, or do I need to download the latest version from your website?

Sorry for the "basic" questions, I just want to be sure I do this correctly...!

Comment

You should, generally, use the latest. What version are you currently using?

And what have you customized? Have you customized the search scripts?
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Yes, the scripts were customized (by you guys about 2 years ago). I will download the latest version and test it with my documentation, first without the customized script. I have a new documentation format, so I'm sure I won't have any issues and the non-customized one will work just fine.

My new question is where is the "Program Data Directory" files located in Windows 7? I checked your documentation and it only mentions Vista, Windows XP and 2000. I also searched the forum (surely I'm not the only one with this question) but I couldn't find the answer

Thank you!

Comment

Typical location is,

C:\ProgramData\Wrensoft\Zoom Search Engine Indexer\

Note that for reasons only know to itself Microsoft make the ProgramData folder hidden.

If you want to view hidden files then,
            Open Windows Explorer and select Organize / Folder and Search Options.
            Click the View Tab.
            Select the Show hidden files, folders, and drives option.
            Click Apply / OK.
            Close and re-open Windows Explorer and check to see if the folder is now visible.

Comment

Working...
            X