Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with categories

Hi.. Really impressed with zoom so far.. But I have a problem

If you go to www.hcvadvocate.org and use the search engine you will see a category box called Eblast.. I made a page called http://www.hcvadvocate.org/news/eblast_archive.asp that has all the links to the last 2 years of bulletins.

I did a supplemental spider and this page shows up but not links to the individual eblasts, which is what I want..

I'm not sure what pattern to use.. I already have a /news/ pattern which works for news... And we do have a directory called eblast

So I used this: http://www.hcvadvocate.org/eblast/eblastw_*.html

But this doesn't work. So.. how do I get the individual eblasts (links) to show up ?

Thanks

CD

It looks like those links have not been indexed. Can you check your Log tab after indexing? Or, under "Index"->"Manage existing index"->"View/delete existing index", you can try to search for these URLs in the index.

After indexing, you should look at the Log tab to see why certain pages may be skipped or not indexed. A reason is usually given and it may be due to your indexer configuration.

One other possible reason is that you have only recently added the links to that eblast_archive.asp page but you are indexing from a cached copy of the page so the spider did not see the newly added links. To make sure you're not doing this, click "Configure"->"Spider options"-> and check the option to "Reload all files (do not use cache)".
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Categories and unmatched quote characters and validation

Thanks for the help Ray.. I solved the problem... I was looking through the forum and found a post talking about categories and unmatched quotes etc.

So, I went back and check my log and sure enough it wasn't indexed..So I redid the my category /eblast/ and set the flag for not belonging to another category and checked the log..

Turns out I had all kinds of "unmatched character quote" ... So I opened the files in Dreamweaver CS5 and checked the validator.. Everything validated so I indexed with additional start point at /eblast (btw: is this to be done incrementally or will all added starting points be automatically indexed if the are entered into the "more" box?)

Ran the Spider.. Uploaded.. EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECT.. But why the flags on the "unmatched quote"?

Thank you for a great product and great support..

CD

Comment

Hard to say without seeing the page(s) in question. It may be an actual bit of broken HTML that the validator didn't pick up. Or it might be something else that's a little unusual and confusing our parser.

Here's a recent example of an unmatched quote issue, for some idea of what to look for:
        http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4853
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Ray.. that was the page I found before that got me thinking.. Anyhoo: now it's working so go figure...

Now my boss wants sub categories (oy!!.. that's Yiddish for "oy") and etc..

Fun!!

Comment

Working...
          X