Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synonyms not working as expected?

I'm using v6.0 (build 1025) and JavaScript

I imported our synonyms list and am testing it.
    I have bead=particle
    When I search for bead, I get 28 results. When I search for particle, I get 3 results. Shouldn't they be the same number of results?

I have barcode=scanner,reader,upc
    search for barcode gives 17 results, but search for upc gives no results. Search for scanner and reader do give 17 results so it looks like acrynomns cant be used as synonyms?

I have colors=colour,colours Searching for color and colour give same results, but shearching for color and colour give different results.
    Should this be changed to color=colors,colour,colours

I appreciate any insight. I did search through the forum, but did not find answers for my particular issues.

We could not reproduce the problem.

You should first check if you are using all the same files from the same indexing session. These are all the files listed at the end of indexing as "Required Files". If you are copying these files to another folder before you open the search page, then you need to make sure you copied ALL the necessary files each time and that you are not mixing files from different indexing sessions.

Second, Javascript can be tricky with certain browsers caching. IE in particular can be difficult to get it to refresh a page completely, sometimes (regardless of your use of ctrl+refresh, etc.) it will use a cached copy of the .js file. Close all browser windows and try again or use a different browser if possible.

Third, let us know if you have changed the .js files in any way at all because your changes might have broken functionality.

Finally, update to the latest build available in case it is something subtle that has since been fixed. The latest build is available here:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

I have updated to the current release build 1028. I cleared my cache and I am still having the same issues. The search.js file is a custom file that your team did for us and I am running the search locally from where I ran the indexer so3 of the files have the current date and time: settings.js, zoom_index.js, and zoom_pageinfo.js. The search.html and the search.js are customized (as mentioned).

I took a look at the zoom_index.js and see lots of numbers after the word particle, but I do not know what they mean. I still get only three results for search for particle, and 28 results for bead.

Any other information I can provide to fix this?
      Thanks!
      Karene

Comment

Just updating this thread for the benefits of others -- Karene got back to us and found that it was caused by trailing spaces and tabs at the end of the line, in the file she imported for synonyms. Removing these trailing spaces and tabs fixed the problem.

I believe trailing spaces should already be ignored by the importing, but trailing tabs could certainly be a problem.

Hopefully this is of help for others.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X