V6 - Highlighting text with umlauts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 - Highlighting text with umlauts

I have the Zoom Search Engine V6 installed. As it is applied for a German homepage I installed it with the encoding iso-8859-1. The Search Engine does its job. However, there is a problem with highlighting words with umlauts or punctuation (commas, colons, etc.) in the document itself.

If German umlauts or ß or any punctuation or different formats (e.g. italic and normal in the passage) are part of the search the text searched with the search engine is not marked in the document itself and it is not jumped to.

If there are no umlauts or ß or any punctuation or different formats part of the search everything is working perfectly.

In my configuration I set: Enable accent/diacritic intensitivity for: Accents, Umlauts, Ligatures.

My homepage is on a linux server and my system, where I installed the Zoom Search Engine software is Windows XP Pro.

The website is a static site.

Please, can you give me a hint how I can solve this problem?

Thank you so much in advance.

Best regards,
    Feechen
    Last edited by Feechen; Dec-12-2011, 10:17 PM.

This is a known limitation of the "jump to and highlight on page" feature:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...ht.html#limits

There is no easy solution to this. To allow the "jump to" script to match all the possible permutations (with accent insensitivity, stemming and synonyms, etc.) means that the script would require alot more processing and access to the index files, and it is simply ineffecient to do on the client-side (within the browser, as that is how a Javascript is executed).

Having said that, we may be able to improve on this in V7 by forwarding the variation of the word that appears in the context description. This will increase the number of situations where the word will highlight. But it will still not highlight ALL the matches that the indexer found and matched against in determining the ranking of the search result.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your information. I am glad to hear that you are working on an improvement for the next version.

Best regards,
      Feechen

Comment

Working...
      X