Apostrophe in ASP failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apostrophe in ASP failure

I have an ASP search configuration. The search is working, but any apostrophe fails the search with a 404 page.

Also, the text description is the same for each result item. Is there a way to have that scan other parts of the body? I have includes used for the top header and that is what it is pulling from.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Dan
    _________
    Thanks,
    Dan

More info

I was thinking that since the scanned info is generated dynamically from the includes, that there might be an option to uncheck that. I can't find one. I guess I can scan offline and not include the includes folder, but I'd rather scan online as offline might not have current info.
    _________
    Thanks,
    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by danh View Post
      I have an ASP search configuration. The search is working, but any apostrophe fails the search with a 404 page.
      We're not aware of such a bug. Check that you are using the latest version and build via Help->About.

If you are using the latest, provide us with a link to the search page in question and we can take a look.

Also let us know in advance if you have either modified the search script (search.asp) in ANY way or if you have a wrapping ASP script which includes our script, as your changes may be causing this behaviour.

Also, the text description is the same for each result item. Is there a way to have that scan other parts of the body? I have includes used for the top header and that is what it is pulling from.
      Please see this FAQ:
      Q. How do I prevent parts of my webpage from being indexed (eg. exclude navigation menus, or page footers)?

I was thinking that since the scanned info is generated dynamically from the includes, that there might be an option to uncheck that.
      Although it is dynamically included on the server side, there is no way that the client-side can know this (note that in the context of the web, a spider is a "client", as is a browser).

So you need to mark these parts of the page as needing to be excluded, as explained in the FAQ above. It should be easy enough to do, as you only need to put the ZOOMSTOP/ZOOMRESTART tags inside your include file. See the FAQ above for more information.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thank you for that link - that is just what I need!

As far as the search.asp goes, I have not modified that at all, but I am using my own search_template.html page.

The link is: http://mchenrysavings.com/search.asp

And if I recall properly, in building my search, I did have the apostrophe selected for a combined word. Would that cause my issue?

[I'm having an uploading issue currently, so my testing of options is at a stand still until my isp fixes that part]
        _________
        Thanks,
        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
          We're not aware of such a bug. Check that you are using the latest version and build via Help->About.
          FYI - I was not on the latest build.
          _________
          Thanks,
          Dan

Comment

There's definitely an issue with your server setup. No matter which URL it is, if the "percent" character appears anywhere in the URL, it is given a 404 "file not found" page.

For example, any page should typically be able to load regardless of the HTTP GET parameters (the values given in the URL after a question mark character), e.g.
            http://mysite.com/index.html?blah=blah

That's why this URL will work on your site and load correctly (ignoring the parameter):
            http://mchenrysavings.com/index.html?test=blah

Such parameters and URLs should be able to handle "percent encoding" so that certain characters (such as apostrophes) can be passed via the URL.

But on your site, this fails and returns a 404:
            http://mchenrysavings.com/index.html?test=b%20lah

Which is not normal. There must be some security setting or redirection mistake that is causing all URLs with percent characters to return file not found.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Interesting.... I'll have to investigate that. Thanks.
              _________
              Thanks,
              Dan

Comment

Working...
              X