64-bit version & .NET 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64-bit version & .NET 4.0

I have the 32-bit version Zoom Search working quite happily on a Windows Server 2003 machine, running ASP.NET 3.5 - life is good.

And now I have to migrate everything to a 64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2 machine, running ASP.NET 4.0, where "everything" is 65+ different sites, all running under host headers.

I make heavy use of the root-level web.config file to store AppSettings that are common to all the sites.

The sites need to run Zoom Search. When I try, I get the error about not being able to run Zoom Search, so I follow the instructions in the FAQ and set the application pool to allow 32-bit applications to run.

So that error goes away, but now the site is not reading the AppSettings from the root-level web.config file, so it still won't run.

I poked around some more on the forums and found a link to the 64-bit version Zoom Search. "Ah-ha!" I thought. "Problem solved."

Downloaded it, went to install it, and it whined that it needs .NET version 3.5.

Is there a version lurking somewhere that will run in a pure 64-bit application pool, under .NET 4.0?

Help!?!?

It turns out Visual Studio 2010 caught us unaware yet again with another under-documented and under-justified change, that forced all projects to build with .NET Framework 4.0 (even previous projects that was specifically targeted to an older one, it went to the trouble of silently removing the line from our project file!)

I believe we've fixed it now using a workaround from a Microsoft employee's blog post (heaven forbid Microsoft actually document things officially).

You can download the new 64-bit server control from here:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/aspdotnet.html

Let us know if you still have trouble with it, but it's supposed to be targetting 2.0 now.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I'm still getting the same error. I believe that's the same file I downloaded & tried yesterday. Same error message, at least:

"This setup requires the .NET Framework version 3.5. Please install the .NET Framework and run this setup again. The .NET Framework can be obtained from the web. Would you like to do this now? Yes/No"

The page says: "(Last updated: 22/Aug/2011) Version 6.0 Build 1027"

Just to be clear, I get the above message when I double-click on the .MSI file.

First I get the standard "The publisher could not be verified..." warning.

Then there's a quick flash of a small dialog box that disappears too quickly for me to identify, and then I get the error message.

Comment

Also, I don't understand how the blog post you linked to is related to the problem I'm seeing. I don't want to retarget my web site to an earlier version of ASP.NET.

I want Zoom Search to run under ASP.NET 4.0 - is that not possible?

Comment

Originally posted by aezzell View Post
          I'm still getting the same error. I believe that's the same file I downloaded & tried yesterday. Same error message, at least:
          Maybe you're using a cached copy of the file, and didn't download the latest (it has the same filename). Check the filesize, the new file should be 2,100,224 bytes exactly.

Also, I don't understand how the blog post you linked to is related to the problem I'm seeing. I don't want to retarget my web site to an earlier version of ASP.NET.
          No, that post were not instructions for you. The idea was that we had to change the target framework in our compilation of the ASP.NET Server Control. So the server control should now target .NET Framework 2.0 which is supposed to allow it to be used in projects that target the .NET Framework version 2.0, or 3.0 or 4.0.

I want Zoom Search to run under ASP.NET 4.0 - is that not possible?
          We are trying to make the server control run on ALL versions of the ASP.NET Framework from 2.0 to the latest (4.0). If we make it target 4.0 specifically, then it will not work for anybody running 3.5, etc.

Let us know if you are definitely using the latest build. We didn't realize the error was coming from the MSI installer before, so maybe that's part of the problem.

We'll have to replicate a setup like yours (Server 2008 with .NET Framework 4.0 only installed) and see if we can reproduce the problem.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Just uploaded a new build which changed the 64-bit MSI installer dependency.

I just tested this on 64-bit Server 2008 with only .NET Framework 4.0 and it installed without issue.

The file size for this latest MSI build is 2,105,856 bytes.

Let us know if it still causes you trouble.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

64-bit version & .NET 4.0 - RESOLVED

OK - The file I downloaded (the one that didn't work) shows 2,103,808 bytes (2,105,344 bytes on disk).

I have now downloaded the 2,105,856 byte file.

I uninstalled the ASP.NET control. Double-clicked on the new .msi file. Got the "The publisher could not be verified." warning. Clicked "Run". Got "Preparing to install" - and then... the setup wizard for the 64-bit control. <And there was much rejoicing>

And it installed with only the normal level of Windows whining. <And there was even more rejoicing>

Now that I have it installed & configured correctly, with the correct permissions set on the folder that logs the searches, it appears to be working correctly.

Thanks so much for your help with this and your willingness to tweak your product, rather than saying, "Oh, it must just be a problem with how your system is configured."
              Last edited by aezzell; Nov-28-2011, 03:43 PM. Reason: updated title to show issue has been resolved

Comment

Glad to hear it's all working fine now and hopefully we've got over our teething issues with VS2010. And always happy to be of help.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                X