PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Multiple websites using asp.net?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Multiple websites using asp.net?

We are a web developer and we are considering using Zoom as the search field on some of our customers' websites (on a Windows server running ASP.net 4). Toward that end, we have been reading over the documentation. We believe we understand how installation, indexing, etc. would work for a single site.

Our question involves multiple sites. If all the sites using the service are on the same server, it looks like we would only need one installation of the ZoomIndexer. (from which we would index multiple sites)

However, on the server - are we correct in assuming we should install the zoomaspx.msi multiple times - once in each website, in the appropriate folder for that website? Or what else should we do to allow indexing and customization of search pages for multiple sites?

Thanks

Originally posted by cmewebs View Post
    Our question involves multiple sites. If all the sites using the service are on the same server, it looks like we would only need one installation of the ZoomIndexer. (from which we would index multiple sites)
    Yes, that is correct. It assumes you are doing the indexing from one machine however. See this FAQ:
    Q. Can I index multiple sites with one software license?

Originally posted by cmewebs View Post
    However, on the server - are we correct in assuming we should install the zoomaspx.msi multiple times - once in each website, in the appropriate folder for that website? Or what else should we do to allow indexing and customization of search pages for multiple sites?
    You should install the MSI just once on the server. Then copy the "bin" subfolder (created where you selected to be the installation path for the server control) and "search.aspx" file to the other website folders. Let us know if you have any problems.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

OK...I confused myself already.

I ran the MSI and it did successfully install, but it's in the Default Web Site under IIS.

The issue with that is that the Default Web Site is disabled on our server. (It interfered with another site and since we weren't using it, we just stopped it.)

So, can I just delete the files and reinstall under a new website? Or should I make a website and direct it to the folder where these files already reside? (I didn't convert it to an application yet...I didn't want to do that until I knew it was in the right place.)

I wasn't sure what else the installer might be doing...so I wasn't sure if I could just delete it and recreate it elsewhere.

As a second somewhat unrelated question, our sites already have a bin folder. So I'm assuming we can just incorporate the DLL into our existing bin folder. Is that right?

Thanks!

Comment

You can uninstall the server control via Windows' "Control Panel"->"Uninstall a program" and you can find it in the list there. Then you can install it again in the desired location.

Yep, you can just incorporate the DLL into your existing bin folder.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for your quick reply.

Comment

Working...
          X