Changing the title display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the title display

I am setting up a search function on our intranet to search through documents (.pdf, .doc etc.). I have it set to search through the file names only because that is all that I need. When the search page displays the "Title" it shows the url link as the title. The problem is it shows %20 for every space in the file name and that gets confusing for the end user to read. Is there a way to format the title to show only the file name, or the url but WITHOUT the special characters for spaces? Any help would be appreciated.

Here is an example of what I mean:
    ../adminservices/Forms/CIW%2010.32-F011,%20Rev.%20A%20-%20Fabric%20Inspection%20Tag%20-%20Cover%20Up.doc

This is what I want:
    CIW 10.32-F011, Rev. A - Fabric Inspection Tag - Cover Up.doc
    Last edited by aaron-calpia; Jul-28-2011, 08:50 PM. Reason: clearification

By default, Zoom displays the actual title stored within the document.

But if you have disabled indexing of the actual document titles, then it won't be available for displaying. If only the filenames are indexed, then only the filename is available.

So one way would be to enable Title indexing. Then you can enable "Titles" to be displayed in your search results too (and they can have proper spacing etc). Unless your documents have bad/invalid titles in them?

Otherwise, without any proper titles, Zoom just displays the URL that the link points to. Unfortunately, the technically correct URL is to have %20 in the place of spaces. That is why it appears that way. There is no feature to change this, unless you wish to make custom modifications to the script.

I would recommend using the proper titles from your documents if possible.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Ok Messing with the settings now I see it was just user error... =) Once I enables indexing of titles it worked. For some reason when I did it before it only returned a "1" as the title for 90% of the files.
      Last edited by aaron-calpia; Jul-29-2011, 06:11 PM. Reason: solved my issue

Comment

I changed it to index the title and display the title of page in the results page. Now I don't understand why some files are shown as file names filename.doc for example, and some are shown with the form title that is on the page, and some are shown with nothing more than a "1".
        It would be nice if I could show just the file names but I guess I am not understanding where it is pulling the titles from.

Comment

The titles come from inside the PDF file.
          If you open the PDF in Adobe Viewer and then select File / Properties you can see the title.

If you created the PDF from a Word document and didn't set any title in Word, then the PDF gets created with the file name of the Word documents.

So you can edit the PDF's to fix the titles. Or if you can't edit the PDF files, then you might want to consider using .desc files to fix the titles. See the User's Guide for details about .desc files.

Comment

Regarding having a "filename.doc" title for your PDF file, see this previous discussion thread:
            http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X