placing custom meta fields on pages other than the search page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• placing custom meta fields on pages other than the search page

I have successfully managed to place a custom meta field into my search page and everything returns correctly. However I wish to place a search box and my custom meta field box on other pages of my website. At the moment if I search from a page that isn't my search page it will only return the search for the first box the search box. I think my problem is that it is not requesting my meta field. I have placed

<input type="text" name="zoom_query" size="20" />

within my form and this successfully requests the search box.

Then I placed

<input type="text" name="zoom_meta" size="20" />

To request my meta field. Do I have the name="zoom_meta" part right?

Thanks for any help you can give and hopefully the explanation of my problem makes sense.

Kelly

Without seeing your site I can't tell you exactly what you need.

But the name of the meta field in the form will be the name you entered when you created the meta field, as "search criteria name"

Comment

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, not been very well.

My site is http://www.yourbusinessdirectories.com/

My custom meta name is "REGION" and the search form name is "In"

The search works on my search page, i.e. people can enter a service and town and get the correct results but I have added search boxes to each of my pages and this is the search that doesn't return the correct results. If you search for "plumber" in "hinckley" on the search page you get the correct result but if you put the same search into the search boxes on any of the other page i.e. the home page the results return all "plumbers". Therefore I don't think I have used the correct request to call up the meta tag on all my other pages.

Hopefully this makes sense, if you need anymore info from me just let me know. I am very greatful for any help you can give me.

Comment

The reason is because in your custom search form (the one at the top of each page), you have this for your "In:" text field:

<input type="text" name="zoom_meta" size="20" />

The name for the meta field is not "zoom_meta", it should be "REGION". Change this to:

<input type="text" name="REGION" size="20" />

And it should work okay. Let us know if you still have trouble.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thank so much, it is working correctly now.

Comment

Working...
          X