X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem indexing English Greek site

Hi.
    I recently bought Zoom Search.
    I try to index my site in UTF-8, Windows -1253, and ISO-5589-7.
    I deleted the files every time and replaced them with the fresh files.
    Every single time the engine finds and displays correctly the English, but does not display or searches the Greek.
    I try to add the <%@ codepage=1253%> and I get the following error:
    Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0245'

Mixed usage of Code Page values

/ilearngreek/search/search.asp, line 1

The @CODEPAGE value specified differs from that of the including file's CODEPAGE or the file's saved format.

You can see the results by going to http://www.ilearngreek.com/search/search.asp.
    I took out the codepage so you can search and see the display of the greek.
    Any answer or any possible solution would be appreciated

Regards
    Steve

I tried searching for a few words from the "Greek alphabet" page on your site. Like "alpha", "thelta", and "άλφα", etc.

The results displayed these greek words fine, and I was also able to search for them.

Can you give us some examples search queries to enter which demonstrate this problem?
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I just searched for the word "good" In firefox 3.6.3 and internet explorer 8
      the encoding of the browser is Greek windows-1253 here are a copy of the results:

10 pages of results.
      1. Vocabulary - Greetings
      ... Greek Sound Phonetics Translation (ie) ?aenaoeoii? (plural) hereti-SMI greetings eaeciYna kali-ME-ra good morning ?a?naoa HE-rete greetings eaeu a?uaaoia ka-LO a-PO-gevma good afternoon eaeco?Yna kali-SPE-ra good evening eaeciy?oa ...
      Terms matched: 1 - Score: 65 - 16 May 2010 - URL: http://www.ilearngreek.com/Vocabulary/greetings.asp

I put some of the "Greek results" in bold so you can see what it shows.
      My system is Vista pro.
      I will try to search with other operating systems and post the results.
      I used zoom search before I had the version 3 or 4. So I am not new to this.
      I also know that your software did a very good job (my older version).
      So I believe this is something minor that I did not notice.
      Any help will be appreciated.
      Also please let me know why I can not place the codepage= 1253 at the top of the search.asp

Regards
      Steve

Comment

I also searched windows xp pro, with firefox and explorer 7.
        same thing. Greek words within the results do not display right.

Steve

Comment

You must have done a re-index since the last time I looked at it. The "Greek Alphabet" page is no longer showing correctly, when I was 100% sure it was fine before.

So I think something happened in between that broke it. Maybe you made some configuration changes?

I tried indexing that alphabet page from here using default settings and the results turned out fine (as they appeared on your website) before.

I can't test pages like "greetings.asp" because it requires registration and login that I do not have.

So I think you should check the following:
          - Have you modified the "search.asp" file in any way. Given your mentioning changes to add the CODEPAGE line, I think you should try reverting this back to the default "search.asp" file generated by Zoom. Make sure you are using the unmodified ASP file that comes with the latest build of Zoom.
          - What are your settings under "Configure"->"Languages"? I presume you have "windows-1253" selected here. Disable "accent/diacritic insensitivity". I've tried it with stemming on and off and it still worked fine.

If you still have trouble, email us your .zcfg configuration file (containing the actual indexer settings you are using) and we can take a closer look.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I have and unmodified search.asp file.
            The results that I posted it was the same index that I had the first time.
            But I did re-indexed the site last night a couple times with different settings.
            I will follow your instructions and see what I 'll have as results.
            Can you explain to me though why I can not put the codepage at the first line of the asp file?
            Maybe that will solve the display problem that I have.
            well as I said I will post when I do some more indexing with your instructions.

Regards
            Steve

Comment

I hope that you are not thinking that I am talking about the landing page after you click on a link.
              I am talking about the display of a search. That is where my display problem is.

I searched again with everything on default and had the same problem.
              I'll sent my configuration file

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by efsaro View Post
                I hope that you are not thinking that I am talking about the landing page after you click on a link.
                I am talking about the display of a search. That is where my display problem is.
                I was not talking about the landing page, I'm talking about the search results too.

It was displaying perfectly fine when I first looked at it, and I searched for words from the Greek Alphabet page. Such as "alfa".

The context description in the search results, on the search.asp page, looked perfectly okay, and exactly the same as the content on the actual page when you click through the result.

Since then, you have reindexed and changed something and it is no longer the case.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Your email after I sent the configuration file pointed me in the right direction!

Your were almost 100% right. Though it was not the server configuration. It was just 3 pages. Let me explain.
                  I have three pages that display Greek words directly from an SQL DB.
                  To display the content I had to use <% @LANGUAGE=VBSCRIPT CODEPAGE=1253 %>
                  I do not know why I did not put the encoding in the meta tags as UTF-8, but that is another story.
                  One of these 3 pages was my home page. So you where landing there, then click to go to the search page and the
                  encoding was messed up from the home page.
                  Solution :
                  I deleted the <% @LANGUAGE=VBSCRIPT CODEPAGE=1253 %> from the 3 pages and place the UTF-8 encoding in the meta tags instead.
                  That solved both the display from my DB and the display on zoom

Thanks a lot for your quick replies.
                  I love your software
                  Steve Aronis
                  http://www.ilearngreek.com
                  http://www.cosmopolitantravel.com
                  http://www.ctstours.com
                  webmaster

Comment

Very glad to hear that you've got to the bottom of it all.

Codepage and character sets can be tricky business. We're pleased to have been of assistance.
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                    X