Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage of last search in text box

Hi again,

I've done a custom search form and all works fine (even with categories) .. only one problem left.

If I use the standard (automatically generated advanced) form whatever search text I enter will remain and be displayed in the search box after the results have loaded. My form will not do it... it returns a blank text area.. though code is identical...

And I'm not sure... whether it remembered the Categories as well. But for a start .. what can I do about the text input??

Thx for any hints..

Yes, the automatic form should remember all the user's seleections from one search to the next. This is one of the advantages in just using automatic form.

If you create your own form, then you are responsible for populating data in it. This could be done for example using Javascript or some server side scripting language. The exact script will depend on your form, if the form your created is static HTML or script generated, the search options you are using, and the scripting options available on your server.

This is also discussed in these old posts with some example scripts.
    http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2112
    http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3496

Comment

thx....

http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3496

did the job just fine ....

Comment

Also Quick PHP way.

Even though this was answered.

Quick PHP way.

Put this line of code somewhere on the page before the form.

PHP Code:
        <?php $Zoom_Q $_GET["zoom_query"]; ?>
        In the form where zoom_query is

<input type="text" name="zoom_query" size="20" value="<?php echo $Zoom_Q ?>" >

You are just adding

PHP Code:
        <?php echo $Zoom_Q ?>
        As the Value of the "zoom_query".

Comment

The instructions provided by z00m_user will only work in limited circumstances.
          It won't work if your server doesn't support PHP and also won't work if you have added your own form to a HTML page (like the default search_template.html page). PHP code on a .HTML page will be ignored on a typical web server.

The Javascript option is more universal.

Comment

Did not want to start a new post for this,

The original Post Title does not mention Java script, ASP, PHP or other.

Like my title stated PHP.
            I was unaware that PHP was "Limited".

Almost every time I post you quickly shoot me down.
            Why?

If you would rather not have others "Attempt" to answer any questions.
            Possible you should consider starting a "Customer service" help page.
            Not a Forum.
            As a forum is an online discussion site.

Sure you will most likely post that when ever someone gives incorrect info you must inform other it might not work.

The point is. There are many people with useful information to share.
            And those people are attempting to promote, improve and in general contribute to the success of your software. And really don't need to have posts that are intended to do the above. Sub-commented with the attitude
            that one would expect to receive after leaving spam posts. Or to be treated as if they just uploaded a v6 Zoom registration code to every crack site on the Internet.

Even when I pointed out a bug in this current version. I received a phuck off attitude.

Here is the exact responce I got from Ray. As if it was my fault for pointing out the bug.

"It's worth noting that this is a very unlikely search query to be made by an end user. And this warning does not appear with PHP 5.2 or earlier."

end,,,,,,,,

And no I don't expect a great big thank you. Or anything of the sort.
            Just informing you that you attitudes suck.

OUT
            Last edited by z00m user; May-21-2010, 06:05 PM.

Comment

The default search form is a HTML file.
              Suggesting people insert there own PHP code into a HTML file will confuse people, as it just won't work.

Most of our users aren't programmers. Many of them can't do more than cut and paste text. They need more hand holding... unfortunately.

You suggestion is fine, but you just need to state the prerequisites for getting it to work.

Sorry for any offense caused.

Comment

Originally posted by z00m user View Post
                Even when I pointed out a bug in this current version. I received a phuck off attitude.

Here is the exact responce I got from Ray. As if it was my fault for pointing out the bug.

"It's worth noting that this is a very unlikely search query to be made by an end user. And this warning does not appear with PHP 5.2 or earlier."
                Wow, I'm honestly sorry you feel that way, but that was most definitely not what I meant.

The condition I gave that it does not appear with earlier versions of PHP was not offered as an excuse - I confirmed it as a bug and informed that it will be fixed.

We are glad you reported the bug to us, we always want as many bug reports as we can get because it helps us make a better product. It was really just additional information for other people coming upon this thread.

This forum acts as a source of information that people search through - months, sometimes years, down the track. They will come across a particular thread and the context is very important. People can mistake the symptoms of an unrelated problem to be something they're seeing -- and spend alot of time on a wild goose chase, thinking the problem has to do with x when it is really isolated to a particular situation.

So in many of these cases, we go out of our way to clarify and refine the conditions. That way, people can tell if it is the same problem or if it's something else, very early on. In that quoted example, if they got that error while making a normal search query which contain letters, then they know it's a different problem. Or if they were using a different version of PHP.

That's all it is. There's just a lot of factors and complexities with these things, so unless you're very careful, we need to jump in and emphasize them. There's nothing further intended.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thank you for clarifying a few things up. I guess that being if your shoes would give me a better understanding of the repercussions that can become from someone reading a post then screwing up their zoom index. I guess now that I think about it. You guys are the one that stand to loose something from confusion be freely posted. I do have a better understanding now.
                  And apologize if any confused customers got that way do to something I posted.

I don't think twice about the Zoom license upload crack site garbage.
                  Apologies.

If I feel the need to post and code. I'll send it to one of you directly.

Good day.

Comment

Glad we cleared that up! It's all cool.
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                    X