• search results limited to 1000

We have a site with 8000+ files.
    http://southerncampaign.org/pen/
    A search, e.g.,
    carolina
    will show
    6728 results found.
    68 pages of results (if set to 100/pg).

It will only display 1000 results, regardless of #/pg setting.
    How do we change this?

The CGI option in Zoom limits the number of results for any particaular search for search time optimations reasons. Most of the large engines do this (Google included).

Your 6000 pages are probalby all indexed however.

In general when people do a search, they look at results from the 1st page (1 - 10 results), then rarely look at results from the 2nd page (11- 20 results) if they can't find what they want on the first page.

So the changes of them stepping through 100 pages of results (at the default 10 results per page) to look at the 1000th result is pretty much non-existant.

So it makes sense for large sets of search files to speed up the search by only sorting and ranking the initial 1000 results.

Why do you want to see results beyond the 1000th most relevant result?

Comment

Moving the optimization bar under "Configure"->"Limits" can increase the "Max matches" number up to 50,000. But as mentioned, this may slow things down, and you should ask yourself if you really want to see the 1000th (let alone, 50000th) most relevant result to a particular search query.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

This question was that of a site user, and apparently an avid searcher (90% or our site users do not use the search feature which is the strength of the site). I have made searches of this site when it was smaller, comparing the percentage of returns for related search term (e.g., rifle vs. musket). As the site hand-holder (provided with my own copy of Zoom!), I could not find any limit we had set that would explain his results. I will pass on your answer.

Comment

Working...
        X