Date Sort Order... options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date Sort Order... options?

Is it possible to use something other than "file last modified date" (I think thats what you use?) for Sort by date?
    File last modified is a tricky thing, not so easy to change with a regular expression etc. And often changed incorrectly , after you have to edit/fix a a file.

In my case I have ~10,000 abstracts to be indexed.
    And most people want then returned sorted by date of journal article. ie year and or Volume No. or some such.
    ALL these numbers are in defined meta tags. So that would be a nice option for sort.??

Are there any better ideas? Or am I missing something about 'last modified"?

I presume you are referring to indexing in Offline Mode, and the actual last-modified date of the file, recorded in the file system?

You can specify a last-modified date via meta tags. See chapter 7.8 in the Users Guide:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html

If you are using Spider Mode, you can specify the last-modified date via HTTP headers as well.

Sorting by custom meta tags is not currently available but something we'll consider for future versions if there is enough demand for it.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Sort order.

I put in one HUGE vote for custom meta SORT ORDER.
      (even allowing one for now would avoid me taking my 10,000 files and adding a meta of "last modified" made up of two other metas already there.) (I hate constructing, reg expressions for stuff like that )

We do journal articles, and users say (at least) they want to sort by, Year, maybe Volume (almost the same), author, start page, etc (yes so wouldn't cascading sort order be cute...

the custom meta sort order issue should be independent of the other Custom meta, for query and results display. (however should allow that meta for possibly both uses)

---another issue
      I also put in one vote for having custom meta, but THEN NOT having it give all responses in query, when NOTHING is entered in any field.

NOTE: This is just wish list stuff, we are very happy with this tool! LOVE it.
      (oh and the support)

Comment

Working...
      X