No announcement yet.

Search problem on multi-lingual sites.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search problem on multi-lingual sites.

I have a site that has content in both English and Russian.
    In my zoom search, I have two categories set up, "English" and "Русский"(Russian). Searching for an English word such as "Moscow" pulls back results in both categories. When trying to do a Russian language search for I get no results in either category. I've tried searching for "Публикации". I know it is in some of the results that get pulled back from searching for "Moscow"

The search can be found at http://carnegie.ru/zoomsearch/search.asp

Any help getting the russian language search working would be greatly appreciated.

There is a third category "В русском" set up which is not currently being used.

I had a look at your site. You have 136 pages in the English category. And only 3 pages in the Russian category.

Of the 3 pages in the Russian category, I didn't see any with the word Публикации on them. In fact the 3 pages appear to be in chinese, not Russian.

So maybe there are pages that you think are in the Russian category, but in fact they aren't.

It also looks like you might have customised our script. You might want to revert back to our default script for testing.

Comment

I'm aware of the three chinese pages being indexed under the russian category, we're reindexing the site now. Even the count for the english pages seems low.

I suggested using Публикации because I know that word occurs on most of the english pages.

I attempted reverting the search.asp script at one point and that didn't help, but I'll do it again and post when that is done.

Thank you.

Comment

We have made some changes. I restored the search.asp to the version provided by wrensoft.

I also manually indexed two pages:
        http://www.carnegie.ru/publications/?fa=40672 <- english category
        http://www.carnegie.ru/publications/?fa=40673 <- Русский category

Searching "Moscow" returns the expected result in each category, and two results searching all categories.

Searching "Афганистану" returns no results at all despite being copied and pasted from the article. "Публикации" also does not work.

I did notice that "интересами" started working AFTER we reindexed the site with only two articles

Comment

The search page appears to be down right now. I presume you are in the middle of re-indexing.

But first you should make sure the pages in question have been indexed. You can check the index log (on the "Log" tab). Click "Show all" and save this to a file, then open it in Notepad or similar to search for the URL.

Then see these FAQs:
          Q. Why are some of my pages being skipped by the indexer?
          Q. I am indexing with spider mode but it is not finding all the pages on my web site

If the pages are definitely indexed and indicated to be so in the index log, then we can continue further investigating if there is some other reason why these words do not return the page. But I'm guessing some pages you think are indexed, are actually not, given what you are saying about there being less pages than you expected.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Sorry it took a while to get back to this, we finally got this issue resolved. We changed our site to use the cgi search instead of the asp search and most of our problems went away. There were also some other modifications that we made to the settings with best bets and synonyms to further refine the search.

Comment

Working...
            X