Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exact phrase with only one word

Hi,
    I noticed that if the search term is only one word and it is enclosed in quotation marks, Zoom provided results from a partial matches search if there are no results.
    For example:
    - Searching for "associated" Zoom provided only exact phrase results with associated -> OK
    - Searching for "associates", Zoom providedonly exact phrase results with associates -> OK
    - Searching for "associat", Zoom provided results with "associate", "Associazione", "associa" and other. Zoom provided the same if there are no quotation marks.

Is there an explanation to this behavior? I would have expected that using quotation marks it would be no results for a search term which is not present in the Zoom database.
    Thank you.

Edit:
    I see that the behavior mentioned above could be simply described as ZOOM does not take into account quotation marks if the search term is only one word, than it provides results for that word, even with words composed by it but it can be misleading because with the quotation marks you expect the exact phrase search, with only the exact word, not the derived ones. Is there a way to force this?
    Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Davidefaccio View Post
      Edit:
      I see that the behavior mentioned above could be simply described as ZOOM does not take into account quotation marks if the search term is only one word...
      Yes, this is correct.

Exact phrase searches only occur when more than 1 word is enclosed within quotation marks.

What you are referring to as "derived" words are a result of the Stemming feature. You can disable this at indexing time (under "Configure"->"Languages"), but you cannot disable stemming during search time.

--Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
      X