Intranet links to files on shared network drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intranet links to files on shared network drive

The majority of the documents "on" our intranet are actually stored and linked to on a shared network drive. Here is an example of what most of our links look like:

\\pebtf_file\everyone\Intranet\Documents\BenefitSe rvices\JobAides\PFFSSampleEOB.pdf

I just set up Zoom and it is indexing all my actual web pages just fine. But when it tries to follow any of my document links I get "Could not download file: file://pebtf_file/everyone/Intranet/Docuements/BenefitServices/JobAides/PFFSSampleEOB.pdf (Invalid URL or domain name)"

So obviously I have something set up wrong. Any advice? I'm running IIS and ASP.NET.

When you enter that link (file://pebtf_file/everyone/Intranet/Docuements/BenefitServices/JobAides/PFFSSampleEOB.pdf) in your browser, can it open the file? If not, what is the error or behaviour?

Actually, I just noticed that in the above link, the folder named "Docuements" is spelt incorrectly. Is this the actual error, or did you mistype?

If this is the actual error, then chances are, you're using Spider Mode indexing (which relies on the links found on your web pages), and your web pages actually contains this broken link. If you fix the link (and make sure to check "Configure"->"Spider options"->"Reload all files (do not use cache)") then it should be okay.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I wish it was that simple. That was just a typo from re-typing that error message.

I can bring up file://pebtf_file/everyone/Intranet/Documents/BenefitServices/JobAides/PFFSSampleEOB.pdf in a browser on the server.

Comment

It is difficult to tell without seeing the actual search results and links in question.

Can you tell us if you are using:
        1.) Spider mode or offline mode
        2.) If there is a mix of paths, some are using UNC and some are in the form of URLs. If so, why is there this distinction and what causes the difference? Are you entering the paths manually (in Offline mode) or are they picked up as links from pages (in Spider mode)?

It may help if you can e-mail us your log file (after indexing, click "File"->"Save index log to file") and maybe include your ZCFG configuration file as well.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X