propagating querystring variables in search results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propagating querystring variables in search results

I have an interesting issue. My ASP.Net web site is storing some information in the querystring, for example "?mode=readonly". Is there a setting in Zoom to specify that the search results links should include whatever querystring variables were passed into the search page? This would need to be done on-the-fly when the user hits the search page and NOT at the time the website is indexed by Zoom. Basically, I need to propagate whatever querystring variables were passed into the search page at runtime into the links found in the search results.

To clarify with an example, assume the link for a search result is for "page1.aspx". If the search page was called as "search.aspx?mode=readonly&zoom_sort=0&zoom_query= test&zoom_per_page=10&zoom_and=0&zoom_cat%5B%5D=-1", then I would want the search result link to be "page1.aspx?mode=readonly". However, if the search page was called as "search.aspx?mode=edit&zoom_sort=0&zoom_query=test &zoom_per_page=10&zoom_and=0&zoom_cat%5B%5D=-1", then I would want the search result link to be "page1.aspx?mode=edit". Additionally, if the search page was called without any non-Zoom querystring variables, then I would want the search result link to just be "page1.aspx".

I hope that was clear. This issue is arising because I need to persist which "mode" the user is in ("read only" or "edit") in each specific browser window when the user may have multiple browser windows open pointing to my site. Because there may be multiple browser windows open, I can't use session variables or cookies to do this because those browser windows may be sharing the same session. The only way I could think of to persist this mode only within the one specific browser window was to pass this information in the URL's querystring. This means that each hyperlink on my site must embed this querystring. I can handle that on my own webpages, but I'm not sure how to handle it in search results links.

Thanks for your help.

There isn't any easy way to do what you're asking for at the moment.

If you really need this, you can turn on XML output in Zoom and write a wrapping script which takes the output and post-process it to the formatting you require (i.e. add additional parameters to the URLs returned).
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X