Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error

When starting Zoom in Spider mode I obtain an error "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error" - Runtime Error! without any other logs - Zoom or system log. In Offlline mode there are no errors. I have the latest version installed (windows XP prof / 4GB ram). I've installed the older version (1017) and the symptoms are the same.

Can you E-Mail us your configuration file (xxxxxxx.zcfg) so that we can investigate the problem.

I assume the problem happens after you click on the "start indexing" button? If yes, then can you save the log file. (On the "index log" configuration window, check "debug mode" and specify a file name for the log). Then send us the log as well.

Comment

Got your trace files. But you didn't include all the details we asked for.

What hardware are you running this on?
      Also which operating system?
      Are you using the 32bit release of Zoom or the 64bit release?

You have set high limits in Zoom. RAM requirements are in excess of 2.5GB. Which is OK if you have good new 64bit hardware. But on old hardware, this isn't going to work.

Zoom still shouldn't crash however. But it should present an error message saying not enough RAM is available.

To reduce RAM usage reduce the max limits in the limits configuration window and / or reduce the number of indexing threads.

Comment

Hardware platform

Intel D950/3.2GHz - MB intel DG965WH

Also which operating system?

Windows XP 32 bit

Are you using the 32bit release of Zoom or the 64bit release?

Zoom 32 bit

Comment

You should have received our further e-mails regarding this by now. But let us know if not (or check your spam filters).

To summarize for other people following this thread:
          • ecoca has set his Limits in Zoom very high, requiring more than 2.5GB of RAM.
          • ecoca is using a 32-bit OS. Windows XP 32bit only allows each application to use up to 2GB of RAM. (this is despite that fact that you might have 4GB or more physically installed). Windows 64bit applications get 8 terabytes each.
          • It is unusual for Zoom to crash like this even if you have asked it to use more RAM than it is available in Windows (we have tested this and could not reproduce it). It should normally gracefully abort the indexing and report that you do not have enough memory. There might be another problem here with your system specifically. Have you run Windows Update and installed all latest XP patches?
          Also, I suspect you have set your Limits much higher than you need them. If you read the Help file, it warns against doing this (the whole purpose of letting you specify your limits is to avoid exhausting your computer's resources unnecessarily). You are only indexing text files (.htm, .php, etc.) and yet you have specified that the biggest file size would be 146 MB. That's a very big text file. I've never seen a meaningful text file of that size. Your other limits are all set to the highest Zoom allows when PHP is selected. So it doesn't seem like you've really selected them properly.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
          X