Results per page auto submit on change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results per page auto submit on change

I'm running the CGI version. Has anyone got any ideas of how to get the Results per page to auto submit when it is changed? I can hard code the select option HTML with a javascript submit onchange but then the page loads fine but of course it doesn't populate the select code with the currently selected results per page option.

If you use the ZOOM_SHOW_RESULTSPERPAGE tag then there isn't much you can do with it.

Any help much appreciated.

I don't really understand the request. It doesn't make sense (to me) to have the search form auto-submit on the selection of a value from the results per page drop down.

If you did do this, the surely then search form will be pre-maturely submitted before the user has had the chance to enter other information, like the search term, category selection, etc..

Comment

this is on a search results page so the user is already viewing results and they want to increase the results to page from 10 to 50. When they've selected 50 they then have to click the submit button. I want to avoid this submit 'click' because it's not obvious they have to do so.

Comment

We don't have any code to do this. No one has asked before. But it would need to be done in Javascript if you were to do it.

IMHO, it still doesn't make sense to do this. The user might want to adjust more fields that just the number of result per page before the next search. And it certianly doesn't make sense to auto-submit before a user has entered a search term, or if the prior search returned less than 10 results. Further if you auto submit on number of results, for consistency you need to auto-submit on the other fields like category?

Comment

Hi David,

It makes sense if the only option is Results per page and the search query has already been initially searched on. Unfortunately I've tried the javascript route and the problem is that if I render the select options code for the resultsperpage without the ZOOM tag then it doesn't get automatically switched to the current value (10,20,50,100) when the page loads.

Comment

You'll need to write the Javascript to repopulate the values from the zoom_per_page parameter in the URL too.

I mean, if you're rendering your own dropdown, and you are writing Javascript code to submit the query when the dropdown is changed, one would expect it is your Javascript's responsibility to re-populate the value as well. There's nothing Zoom can do about it when you're using custom controls.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X