Using the Zoom .net option with a DNN site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the Zoom .net option with a DNN site

I'd like to use the .net option for a DNN site somehow with a module, but I am not having much luck. As close as I have come to getting it work is like this:

I created a new page in DNN at the root. I dropped the zdat files in the root of the folder directory on the server along with the template file. I Then placed the dll in the bin folder.

The skin I used for the new search page has my general layout with this at the first line:

Code:
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="ZoomASPX" Namespace="ZoomASPX" Assembly="ZoomASPX" %>
    Then down further in the skin in my main content area is this piece

Code:
    <ZoomASPX:ASPXSearch id="ASPXSearch" runat=server/>
    I can navigate to the page with no errors, but I have a couple problems. The search box shows up and if i manually place a query string into the url, results will display, but if I type something in the search box, the page is not updated with a new query string, it remains blank.

I am also seeing an issue with IE8 thats causing backgrounds to not display in compatability mode and in regular mode extra backgrounds are showing up...probably just a weird css thing.

Has anyone successfully integrated the .net option for Zoom into a DNN site. I know the asp/iframe option will work no problem, but I wanted to avoid asp code. It would be really awesome to find out someone is working on a zoom module

Originally posted by tmrhymer View Post
    I can navigate to the page with no errors, but I have a couple problems. The search box shows up and if i manually place a query string into the url, results will display, but if I type something in the search box, the page is not updated with a new query string, it remains blank.
    This sounds like a problem with the postback form on the page. That is, there's a <form> ... </form> tag encasing the entire page, so that the search form generated by Zoom won't work (you can't have a form within a form).

To avoid this, disable the form generated by Zoom ("Configure"->"Search Page"->on the "Search form" dropdown, select "Do not generate". Reindex and save your configuration).

Next, use the HTML from the following FAQ to specify your own search boxes on the "search_template.html" page:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...tml#searchform

We are currently working on V6.1 which will allow the generated search form to work with postback pages.

I am also seeing an issue with IE8 thats causing backgrounds to not display in compatability mode and in regular mode extra backgrounds are showing up...probably just a weird css thing.
    Don't know about this, but yes, it sounds like a CSS thing. Would have to see the page itself to really comment.

Has anyone successfully integrated the .net option for Zoom into a DNN site. I know the asp/iframe option will work no problem, but I wanted to avoid asp code. It would be really awesome to find out someone is working on a zoom module
    There is this tutorial on using Zoom with DNN:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/tutorial_dnn.html

It is written with the Classic ASP option in mind, but the same approach can work with ASP.NET (since it just uses an IFRAME).

We definitely have a number of users successfully using the ASP.NET option on DNN too. A few users have said they were working on DNN modules too.

I think the V6.1 release (probably due before the end of year) will really make alot of things easier with the improvements in the ASP.NET Server Control handling postback, etc. We should expand on more tutorials when that's available.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks, that did it, just needed to use this method: http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/faq_aspdotnet.html#searchform

Quote:
      Originally Posted by tmrhymer View Post
      I am also seeing an issue with IE8 that's causing backgrounds to not display in compatibility mode and in regular mode extra backgrounds are showing up...probably just a weird css thing.
      Don't know about this, but yes, it sounds like a CSS thing. Would have to see the page itself to really comment.
      I am still having this issue, I've "narrowed" it down to this piece of code:
      Code:
      <ZoomASPX:ASPXSearch id="ASPXSearch" runat=server/>
      When I take that out of the skin the background image reappears in IE8 compatibility mode, and in IE8 non-compatibility mode the background is no longer doubled. Before, in IE8 non-compatibility mode, the background was displaying at the top of the document like it should, but it was also appearing where the search results began.

The background is being applied like this:

I have my entire page wrapped with a div that has this class
      Code:
      <div class="bodyWrap">
      That class has these properties:
      Code:
      .bodyWrap { background: url(../images/header-bg.gif) repeat-x;}
      Actually, I just figured it out... I'll leave all of the above so if anyone else comes across this problem they will come across my thought process too. It looks like there must be a conflict with that class .bodyWrap in the control somewhere.

I changed .bodyWrap to just be body, and that fixed the issues i was seeing in all the different scenarios. I am sure changing the class name would fix it also. Is there a listing of all of the class names the zoom's control uses?

Comment

Actually, It doesn't seem to like any class I put on that div...If I apply the page background on that skin with the wrapper div, i get the weird behavior, but if i apply it to the pages body, it appears fine...interesting.

Comment

It looks like i spoke too soon, setting that css to apply to the body was not a solution. After you login and the DNN control panel is displayed it covers up the background pushing the rest of the content down with no background. Any ideas as to what would be conflicting with this? its not a problem with my skins, i have another skin identical to this one minus the zoom control that displays the background with no problems.

Comment

It looks like there must be a conflict with that class .bodyWrap in the control somewhere.

I changed .bodyWrap to just be body, and that fixed the issues i was seeing in all the different scenarios. I am sure changing the class name would fix it also. Is there a listing of all of the class names the zoom's control uses?
            There is a complete CSS class listing in chapter 6.4 of the Users Guide.

But no, there is nothing in Zoom called "bodyWrap".
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Yeah i did some more testing, its definitely not a problem with the class name. None of those classes listed in the guide would be conflicting with my skins. The background is getting applied to a div thats nested further down in code. That div has a class applied to it. If I remove that class, the background gets placed on the next div, which is created from the ZoomASPX control. This really makes no sense. The background image is like a 1x100px gradient that repeats across the x axis. It's set as the background of a div that wraps the entire page, theres no width constraints so it spans across the top of page. However, these div's that are lower in the page do have width constraints but yet this background also shows up inline with those div containers and spans across the page. I hope that makes sense, im really confused and I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.
              The only thing I know is if I remove the ZoomASPX control, the problem is gone, if I remove the bodywrap class and apply the background to the body tag, the problem is gone. Neither of which are a solution obviously.

Comment

There's no way we can follow this from your description. It all depends on how it's implemented. If it's online we can take a quick look, but really, the problem is a CSS design issue.

The ZoomASPX control does not do anything special in terms of CSS or HTML. I would recommend looking at the resulting HTML source code (i.e. load the page in the browser and select "View Source") to better determine what's going on. Looking at the ASPX source code won't help because that's not what the browser sees -- that's what the server sees. And the problem here is how your browser interprets and renders the page.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I realize the zoom control itself isn't the cause, its the code its rendering and I had been looking at the rendered source. The only thing stood out as odd was that there is an empty form created even though i specified in the zoom options for it to not create the form. My DNN page already has a form so I do not want zoom creating another form.

<form method="get" action="search.aspx" class="zoom_searchform">
                  </form>

I've taken the code rendered by the Zoom control and replaced the zoom control with that code. Reloaded the page. The error is still there. If I remove this nested empty form, the problem is resolved. So it would appear that Zoom is creating this form when it should not be and for some reason is causing the background to be applied in an extra space on the page.

I found this in the User guide thats supposed to move the inner form control outside of the outer form, but it doesnt help me, as my skins don't allow me to edit the Page_Load function, and I wouldn't want to anyway because the code behind file is a core dnn file that all of my skins use:

Form.Method = "GET"
                  Form.EnableViewState = False
                  Page.ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock(Me.Get Type(), "clr", "document.getElementById('__VIEWSTATE').value = ''", True)
                  Last edited by tmrhymer; Aug-27-2009, 02:58 PM.

Comment

The only thing stood out as odd was that there is an empty form created even though i specified in the zoom options for it to not create the form. My DNN page already has a form so I do not want zoom creating another form.

<form method="get" action="search.aspx" class="zoom_searchform">
                    </form>
                    Check your "search_template.html" file. Did you add Advanced Template tags such as <!--ZOOM_SHOW_FORMSTART--> and <!--ZOOM_SHOW_FORMEND-->? Or do you have HTML added to this template?

If you have properly configured Zoom to not generate a search form ("Configure"->"Search Page"->Change "Search form" dropdown to "Do not generate" and reindex and reuploaded your files) and you didn't explicitly specify a form in your template file, then this should not happen.
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I'm sure its configured right, my template only has this in it:

<!--ZOOMSEARCH-->

And i definitely do not have any extra form tags or code that would create a form tag in my skins, the only thing in the space where this form tag is appearing is the zoom control. So i really believe its generating this form.

Here is a screenshot showing that i have search form set to "Do not generate"
                      http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/932943/screenshots/zoom.JPG

Comment

You're right, there is a bug here. The form tags at the moment will always appear unless you use advanced template tags and explicitly not specify the form elements.

We'll fix this up for the next build (V6.0 build 101.

In the meantime, you can workaround it by replacing <!--ZOOMSEARCH--> with:

<!--ZOOM_SHOW_HEADING-->
                        <!--ZOOM_SHOW_SUMMARY-->
                        <!--ZOOM_SHOW_CATSUMMARY-->
                        <!--ZOOM_SHOW_SUGGESTION-->
                        <!--ZOOM_SHOW_PAGESCOUNT-->
                        <!--ZOOM_SHOW_RECOMMENDED-->
                        <!--ZOOM_SHOW_SORTING-->
                        <!--ZOOM_SHOW_RESULTS-->
                        <!--ZOOM_SHOW_PAGENUMBERS-->
                        <!--ZOOM_SHOW_SEARCHTIME-->

And you can omit or move the order of these elements around as you like. The above list is just a recreation of the same layout that the default <!--ZOOMSEARCH--> tag provides.
                        --Ray
                        Wrensoft Web Software
                        Sydney, Australia
                        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Ray, that fixed the issue. I will probably just use the advanced version from now on. I like that added bit of control.

Comment

Working...
                          X