Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exact phrase/double quotes problem

Hi,

I hope someone can provide some insight. I've read through just about every post on this forum dealing with exact phrase problems, but I haven't been able to find a cure for my problem.

I'm using the Windows version 6.0 (build 1014) CGI in Offline mode and have indexed some common text files (.txt). I'm running IIS.

I have configured the indexer to allow for exact phrases and have Context description enabled. I've also set the max context seeks to the highest it can go: "Slow search (Most accurate)". However, I still don't get any results when doing a double quote exact phrase search. The typical exact phrase that I'm testing doesn't contain any skip words and I've set the default to "all search words". An example exact search phrase would be "mountain valley airport" (with the double quotes).

All I'm getting is "Your search query contained too many common words to return the entire set of results available....."

I've seen another post addressing this as a server issue with Apache, but that doesn't apply to me.

I would greatly appreciate some insight on what I might be missing or doing wrong.

Thanks very much.

TS

You should first update to the latest build available (V6.0 build 1017). You can download this from here:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

There was a bug fixed in build 1016 related to the "too many common words" message which was triggered with a certain configuration combination.

If the problem persists with the latest build, let us know. It may help to provide us with the URL to the search page so we can take a closer look.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks very much Ray. The update fixed the issue!

TS

Comment

I have almost exactly the same problem. But I am using a newer version (V6 build 1023), which I just installed. And it gives me results, along with the error message, even when it returns just 2 results (correctly).

It does not do it for all quoted searches. I have only found two and it is those with my name. (Do you think it disrespects me?) It does not give the error when my name is not in quotes.

I have a test page at ottertooth.com/temp1.htm

B

Comment

Originally posted by Otter View Post
          It does not do it for all quoted searches. I have only found two and it is those with my name. (Do you think it disrespects me?) It does not give the error when my name is not in quotes.
          It would've helped if you told me your name

I went to the About page on your website, and I tried searching for "Brian Back" and that seemed okay. It returned over 499 results though it also gave the message.

I also tried searching for "Brian A. Back" and that did return only 2 results and the message. But that includes a single letter search term. Are you indexing single letters? (under "Skip options")

It's important to note that this "too many commn words" message is a legitimate and valid message and not necessarily an error (as it was in the original post of this thread). It occurs when the script deems the search to be too taxing or not worthwhile - e.g. not only would it take too long to execute, it would return too many results for it to be useful to the user.

You can control this however, via "Configure"->"Limits". There is an "Optimization" slider bar which affects the search behaviour and dictates how hard the script should try to search before giving up. Naturally, the more demanding, the greater the possibility of a slow search being executed, and the busier your server will be.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Not telling you my name was a test. And you passed!

No, I am not indexing words less than 2 letters. I ran a test and tried your suggestions. This overcame the problems.

A suggestion in future revisions is to change the error message to more clearly indicate that it is a qualification of the search rather than a genuine search error.

FYI, I kept getting blank-page searches, after installation, before I resolved it: restrictions in the php.ini that were the problem.

Thanks for your help.

"Brian"

Comment

Originally posted by Otter View Post
              A suggestion in future revisions is to change the error message to more clearly indicate that it is a qualification of the search rather than a genuine search error.
              It's actually never indicated as an "error" message. The full message is as follows:

Your search query contained too many common words to return the entire set of results available. Please try again with a more specific query for better results.

I'm not sure how that can be better worded, to be honest.

I can understand if you did a search for that message on our website and found this thread, and assumed it to be an "error" because of the previous (and since fixed) bug. So I realize that might have been some point of confusion. But the message itself, I believe, is fairly accurate.

Having said that, you are free to change the text of this message as you see fit. All the messages returned by the search function are specified within the .ZLANG Language Files. See chapter 7.2 in the Users Guide for more information.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Exact phrase/double quotes problem-pdf files

I have a related issue when using multiple key word searches using double quotes. Zoom finds the key word in a pdf file and displays on the results page. When you click the link acrobat reader opens the document and also lists search results inside the pdf document but lists all words individually instead of as entered in quotes. I noticed that when using Acrobat 7.x and above it does this but if using Acrobat 6 and below it lists the search terms in quotes. Is there a particular solution to this issue when using acrobat 7.x or newer?

Comment

Sonofigoo, this is not related the initial post, which was concerned with message "Your search query contained too many common words...".

Your problem is a limitation in the Adobe Reader software. Nothing we can do about it.

Comment

Working...
                  X