No announcement yet.

ZoomASPX.dll giving error in ASP.NET website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You do not have to use the ASP.NET version of the search script just because your website is built on ASP.NET. You can use any of the other scripting platforms available on your server. Your hosting plan should say whether your account/server will support PHP, Classic ASP, and/or CGI in addition to ASP.NET.

The advantage to using the same scripting platform as what your site is built on is that you can integrate the search page better in some cases. For example, you may have headers and footers on every page which use ASP.NET code. You won't be able to use this easily on a PHP search page (for example), but it doesn't mean you can't have a PHP search page in the middle of your ASP.NET website that looks just like the rest of your site.

I would recommend checking your hosting plan and seeing exactly what's available to you. If it's not clear, ask your hosting company. I would suspect that "Classic ASP" (also known as just plain "ASP" without the ".NET") should be available - it's one of the minimal services that even the cheapest IIS hosting plans offer.

See this FAQ for more details:
    Q. What is PHP, ASP, CGI or JavaScript? How do I determine which one I should use?
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi, I am having similar issues with a client's site that I am working on. Their hosting service will not allow full trust security level. That being the case, is zoom search not usable unless the hosting server has full security level access?

Comment

You need to check what scripting options your host does support. Then pick the option that your host allows, or move to a new host that offers more options.

Zoom V6 supports CGI, PHP, ASP, .NET and Javascript.

Javascript is client side, so it works with any site.

Comment

Very interesting...got the dynamic url blues

Very interesting thread. I am currently trying out the PHP flavor in my ASP.NET app. Could not get the CGI to work due to security measures mentioned above. It does search but does not crawl through my dynamic pages. But I am determined to make this work. My mission is to make my ecommerce app workable for the small entrepreneur who can not afford much beyond a shared hosting at godaddy. If I can make this work on these cheap servers, I am going to make all my clients kick out forty-nine bucks for the Standard Edition. OK, too long winded, been sitting here for eleven hours now and too much coffee.

If anyone has a clue how I might attempt a crawl through my asp.net dynamic pages...well, I'd be grateful.

Comment

Working...
          X