Search results errors in V6 categories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search results errors in V6 categories

I have set v6 up as I had v5.1 but the search results are very different, in fact wrong.

The URL is www.volvoclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/search/search.cgi

Put c30 in the search box and search on All categories.

There are 361 results:

Web Pages Only (.shtml;.htm;.html;.php): 283
    Web and PDF Files (.shtml;.htm;.html;.php;.pdf); 36
    Volvo Press (/press/): 35

The Web and PDF results are all PDF ???
    The Volvo Press results are all images ???

Something wrong here...

Bob
    Robert Isaac
    Volvo Owners Club

Here it is in v5.1

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/search/search.php

All: 362
    Web pages only: 283 (no pdf)
    Web and PDF: 320 (web pages and pdf)
    Volvo Press: 31 (web pages and pdf)

Bob
    Robert Isaac
    Volvo Owners Club

Comment

Looks like a configuration problem with categories.
      For each of your categories, do you have the option, "Files belonging to this category can not belong to any other category" set? This option is in the Edit category window.

Comment

No, that is not set in any of the categories.

Bob
        Robert Isaac
        Volvo Owners Club

Comment

Bob,

I just started the process of upgrading my server search from Zoom 5 to Zoom 6.

Initially no PDF files were turning up in the V6 search results.

The eventual cure for me was in the Scan Options to remove and then re-add the entry for .pdf files. In the config file it had been listed as ".pdf HTML Text" and after being adding back in it showed as ".pdf Adobe Acrobat".

Similarly had an issue with my Recommended Links but recreating them solved that also.
          Mark Gallagher

Comment

V6 should have imported these V5 settings without any issue. But there are so many combinations of options available, exhaustive testing is impossible. If you still have it, can you send us your V5 Zoom configuration file and we'll try and reproduce it here.

Comment

I have reloaded the v5 config file into v6. I am reindexing and will let you know the result in a few hours.

The only changes I made were to switch from php to cgi, and the paths to the cgi folder for the uploads.

Bob
              Robert Isaac
              Volvo Owners Club

Comment

Same thing happened. I am going to take this back to the beginning.

I have reinstalled 5.1 on my Vista SP1 machine and rebuilt the config manually again. I will run it in php mode and see if all is OK. I will then switch to cgi mode and see what happens. If that is OK I will import the new 5.1 config file into v6 and run that again in cgi mode.

This will take a while.
                Robert Isaac
                Volvo Owners Club

Comment

The problem persists. I ran this on each of my PC's in turn, XP Pro SP3 and Vista SP1. I did v5.1 and then v6, in CGI mode each time.

You can see them:

v5.1 at http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/search/search.cgi

v6 at http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/search/new/search.cgi

As in my first post, use c30 as the search term and the v6 results are as my first post. Wrong.

One odd thing when I ran v5.1 and v6 on my XP Pro machine is that v6 indexed around 3000 more files, yet I loaded and saved the v5.1 config file.

I will send you the config files. This is driving me nuts.

Bob
                  Robert Isaac
                  Volvo Owners Club

Comment

Not wanting to give up I removed all traces of Zoom from the PC then reinstalled (Vista SP1 on a Dell XPS). I then rebuilt the config manually, not loading a previous config file.

I set the start to volvoclub.org.uk/press/index.shtml, remembering that /press/ is one of the categories.

Files indexed - 5146
                    htm - 2037
                    html - 130
                    shtml - 437
                    pdf - 332
                    jpg - 1974
                    gif - 49
                    png - 9
                    xls - 35

The link to this is http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/search/test/search.cgi

Use any of these search terms - c30, s60, v50, xc90, s40, xc70, v70 (there are many others) and the results are all the same - as my first post. They don't make sense. The search is returning images but not the pages when selecting the 'Volvo Press' category.

Bob
                    Robert Isaac
                    Volvo Owners Club

Comment

I think this is a consequence of changes made to the categories feature in V6 of Zoom. (which in hindsight weren't as well thought out as they should have been).

The correct working of categories on your site depends on allowing files to belong to multiple categories at the same time. In V6 you need to enable the "Allow seaching in multiple categories" feature in order for this to happen. This was not required in V5.

It is half bug and half design flaw. We were already planning to make changes to categories in a patch release in Jan 09. So we'll look at this issue as well.

In the meantime you might try turning "Allow seaching in multiple categories" on.

Comment

Many thanks for the prompt response to this. I will do as you suggest for now.

Thanks for the great product and enjoy Christmas and New Year.

Bob
                        Robert Isaac
                        Volvo Owners Club

Comment

The latest release (V6.0 build 1009) features improved Categories support, which addresses the issues raised above.

You can download the latest build from here:
                          http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html
                          --Ray
                          Wrensoft Web Software
                          Sydney, Australia
                          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                          X