PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restriction in Maximum Categories in Free edition or bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restriction in Maximum Categories in Free edition or bug?

I am a Version 5 Enterprise User.
    Before buying V6 , I tried the free edition, I tried to import my Categories (which are more than 100) and I noticed that the application displays only a few of them.
    Is there any restriction in the free edition (which is not described in the comparison table) or is this a bug?

Thank you

I bought the enterprise edition and the problem continues.
    The application does not allow to save more than 31 categories.
    If you add a 32nd category it is added but not saved.

Any solution for this problem?

Thank you

Comment

With the introduction of custom meta fields (which are like categories in some ways, but more flexible), we changed the way we stored category data in the index to make it much more efficient (smaller index and faster searching). The downside is that if you have the "Allow searching in multiple categories" feature turned on then you're restricted to 31 categories. If you don't have "Allow searching in multiple categories" turned on you can have 65,000 categories.

We didn't expect this to be an issue as we thought very few people would need more than 32 & multiple categories. And some of those people could use custom meta tags instead.

But maybe we underestimated the number of people this might effect. We'll discuss the issue internally tomorrow and decide if the extra efficiency justifies the restriction.

We are aware of 1 other customer this effects. Any comments from other users who might be impacted would also be of interest.

Comment

Thank you for your answer

Custom meta tags is a nice feature, but if you have 1.000.000 webpages then it is difficult to start writing custom metatags.
        I was using Folders to organize my pages into small categories, and then I was organizing these small categories into larger categories to allow many search criteria.
        This made the whole process much more flexible, because you can change the organization of categories and subcategories very easily by redefining which subcategories are included in every category..

At least it would be very helpful if you could add an option to allow more than 31 categories for people needing this feature.

If you deselect "Search in Multiple Categories" then it is like going back to Version 4 where you could only search in one Category at a time.

Please bring back this feature.

Thank you

Comment

We have come up with a plan to support more categories in a reasonably efficient manner. But it will take a few days of work to implement and test, as it effects all the scripts and the indexer. We can't just stick the old V5 code back in as the index file structure has totally changed. Unfortunately Christmas is upon us and we won't get a chance to implement it until around the middle of Jan.

In the meantime you might want to fall back to V5, or use custom meta tags where it makes sense to do so.

We are still very interested to hear from other user that this might impact.

Comment

Thank you,

I will use V5 until the new version comes out in mid January..

Comment

If you use the metatags option and Multi-Select as a possible replacement of multiple categories, which is the maximum number of entries that you can have and which is the maximum number of categories that you can simultaneously select?
              When you fix the multiple categories to allow more than 31, which will be the fastest method to use? Categories or Metatags?

There is also a bug in the display menu for the meta-tags.
              It doesn't display correctly, the right part of the menu is cut off.

Thank you.

Comment

I don't think we defined a maximum.
                Using categories will result in a smaller set of index files than custom meta tags. So the load time will be smaller and the search faster. But it would only be for large sets of index files that you might notice the difference.

I wasn't able to reproduce the display bug. Which window are you refering to? Or are you refering to the search results page?

Comment

Thank you for the answer.
                  I was referring to the window that appears when you click on the add button.
                  It appears truncated on the right side.

I am using Windows XP.

Comment

Originally posted by cardiogr View Post
                    Thank you for the answer.
                    I was referring to the window that appears when you click on the add button.
                    It appears truncated on the right side.
                    If you are referring to the fact that the "Dropdown values" box is not always visible, this is by design. The right side of the window is only visible when you have "Dropdown text" or "Multi-select" selected as the "Type" for your meta field.

If the window is still truncated when either of these Types are selected, then please let us know.
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I downloaded the latest version 6.0.0.5.
                      When you select the dropdown text the right part of the window appears, but it is still truncated. For example, not the entire part of the text can be read.
                      I am using a wide screen with 1680x1050 resolution (I don't know if it helps).

Does the new version add the ability for more than 31 categories?

Thank you

Comment

The new V6.0.1005 release doesn't effect categories.
                        As soon as we work through the backlog of bugs reported over christmas we'll be looking at categories and PHP4 support.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

The latest release (V6.0 build 1009) features improved Categories support, which addresses the issues raised above.

You can download the latest build from here:
                            http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html
                            --Ray
                            Wrensoft Web Software
                            Sydney, Australia
                            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thank you for this important upgrade.
                              It seems however that you also need to upgrade the mac cgi file.
                              In Windows categories work perfect now, but if you use mac then selecting a category will display results from another category.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X