Javascript Maximum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javascript Maximum?

I was having issue's before with the search button and stuff not showing up, and it was a result of my [Javascript] index files being too large. They were just over 3000kb in size.
    I split my index's up into seperate searches and it works perfectly now.

Just wondering if you know the maximum size that the index can be before it crashes? One of my new index's is reaching over 2000kb now

Also, do you know any way to work around a locked pdf? The person who had the password got fired and moved away, and noone has his contact information or for that matter knows even where he is. Is there a way to unlock it? (I remember reading that it will be a later feature to have it search the .desc file even if it's locked, but is there a current work-around?)

Thanks.

Also, do you know any way to work around a locked pdf? The person who had the password got fired and moved away, and noone has his contact information or for that matter knows even where he is. Is there a way to unlock it? (I remember reading that it will be a later feature to have it search the .desc file even if it's locked, but is there a current work-around?)
    It all boils down to this:

You need the password to unlock the PDF.

There are software solutions for this problem if you absolutely cannot get the original password; but I would recommend searching Google for them, as I think they would be a little outside the scope of this forum.

Regards,

- JW

Comment

Yah I found a few on Google...I was curious as to if there was a workaround to indexing a 'locked' .pdf.desc file though.

Comment

Also, on a very similar topic:

When I index a section of PDF's, a large bunch of them are locked (password protected), but they still get indexed with the locked title/keywords as the result. I don't have the password for these, they are required to be locked by the company. (The title and stuff is what it needs to be)
        However, there are some files that are locked and shouldn't be, and I don't have access to these passwords (as stated in my situation in the above posts). These files get skipped by the index and result in a Plugin Failed error blah blah. Whats the reason for it indexing those locked files but not these? Are they locked in a different way?

Comment

The index size limit you are referring to is only for Javascript. The limit is imposed by the browser running the Javascript search script. Different browsers have different limits. So there is no simple answer to the maximum allowed size. The limit is actually related to how much RAM can be allocated by a Javascript script in a browser. It seems to be around 10MB for Internet Explorer 6.

We suggest everyone uses server side scripting for search when possible. (ASP, PHP, CGI). The server side script don't have this index size problem and are faster.

The are multiple different levels of security in PDF files and multiple levels of 'document restrictions'. In the Adobe viewer you can use the menu option File / Properties to determine the security settings for the document.

The concept of .desc files is not directly related to PDF file security. As many external binary documents do not contain useful title and description information, Zoom allows you to specify custom Meta information for any plugin supported files. The option can be enabled in the indexer configuration dialog, and once it is enabled, the indexer will attempt to look for .desc files for any plugin supported file extensions.

For example, if you have a file called “mydocument.doc”, you can create a text file called “mydocument.doc.desc” in the same directory with the following contents:

Code:
          <title>This is my document custom title</title>
          <meta name=”description” content=”This is my document’s custom description”>
          Zoom will then index the words found within “mydocument.doc”, but use the title and description information found in “mydocument.doc.desc” – so that you will see your custom title and description in your search results.

You can also specify other meta information in .desc files, including extra keywords with the ZOOMWORDS or KEYWORDS fields (see Manually add words to the index); ZOOMPAGEBOOST options (see Word boosting), as well as Last-Modified date information (see Specifying a last-modified date for your web pages).

------
          David

Comment

Thanks very much for the reply...

As for the javascript max. issue - I understand that there's no set limit.

The .desc files I have been using for lots of my pdf's, but for 5 of the locked ones it won't even scan the desc file it just passes over them...

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
              ... but for 5 of the locked ones it won't even scan the desc file it just passes over them...
              It will not scan the .desc file if the file is protected / locked, and the Indexer is unable to index the original .pdf file.

I suspect that when you mentioned the following:
              Originally posted by squeak
              When I index a section of PDF's, a large bunch of them are locked (password protected), but they still get indexed with the locked title/keywords as the result.
              Those PDFs were not actually protected from indexing. As David mentioned, there are several different options for protecting a PDF file. Check what they are for these documents. For example, those file may be protected from printing, but it may not be protected from text extraction, which means that the Indexer may be able to index them.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
              X