PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Javascript, 2 search boxes with seperate index files.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javascript, 2 search boxes with seperate index files.

Wow, I'm not gonna lie javascript is frickin frustrating!!! I realize that that CGI/php versions would kick ass, but I need my search to be cross platform compatible.

Just wondering how it's possible to have 2 seperate search box's on a page, both going from seperate index files. I tried to save the seperate goups of files into 2 seperate folders (Search_internal, Search_external), my index file with the search boxes is located in the root folder.

Also, is this even going to be an effective work-around to having too large of an index file? Or will javascript still max. out the same as the files will roughly add up to the same size, bigger even...

This is really exactly the same issue as in your previous thread.
    http://wrensoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=995

Comment

Same issue yes, I was just wondering if this was a possible fix and how to do it. I'm doing a fix a different way though.

Thanks.

Comment

Re: Javascript, 2 search boxes with seperate index files.

Originally posted by squeak
        Just wondering how it's possible to have 2 seperate search box's on a page, both going from seperate index files. I tried to save the seperate goups of files into 2 seperate folders (Search_internal, Search_external), my index file with the search boxes is located in the root folder.
        That should work. It essentially means you have two separate search engines, and a single page which lets user select which engine to use. You said you tried this, but what problems did you have?

If you're wondering how to create the search boxes, see this FAQ:
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...tml#searchform

You should make sure to change the form action to match the locations of the two search engines. (eg. one form would have an action="Search_internal/search.html" and the other will have an action attribute of "Search_external/search.html")

Originally posted by squeak
        Also, is this even going to be an effective work-around to having too large of an index file? Or will javascript still max. out the same as the files will roughly add up to the same size, bigger even...
        No, it is essentially two separate search engines when setup like the above. The downside to this is that you will not be able to do a search across both indexes.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

wont using catagories be effective in using one set of index files? I use catagories and its awsome.. I have like 12 differect product types and it works great.. you can do the same for the different urls (sites) put an identifier on the url that indicates what site is it and have it listed in a seperate catagory. then the user can select from a drop down (that you can set to size of at least 2 or 3 .. (so they can see it) title it (pick site to choose from) and it will filter results for that catagory (in this case site)

Just a suggestion.. hope im not out of line here...

Comment

Categories would not be effective in squeak's scenario as he is trying to minimize the size of his index files by splitting them into two sets. The use of the categories feature only allows you to divide the searchable content into groups within one set of index files.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X