H1 not showing up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 not showing up

All my html pages have <h1> headings that would make good titles for search results, but none of them are being picked up, even though I have set the boost for heading to +5. I got "no title" as the link for any html page.
    Any ideas?

<h1> tags are not used to set the title of a page. They are only headings within the page.

<title> tags are used to set the title of a page.

So if you do not have a <title> tag within the <head> part of your HTML page, then "No title" will appear as the link.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

title tags

Ray,
      Thanks for your answer.
      However, all my pages have titles in the header, but none of them are being picked up. How do I fix this?
      Also, you might want to consider allowing people to use H1 or H2 texts as the title for search results.

Comment

Can you give us a URL to one of your pages? We can check if this is really the case.

Note that the <title> tag MUST appear within the <head> ... </head> section for it to be recognized. This is as required by the W3C HTML standard.

We are not considering using the <h1> text for titles at this point. They are officially headings and not titles - which are very different things on most pages (although it may not be for you). We have also not had any other requests for this.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

problem with title tags

Ray,
          You will find that every page within the subsite that I am searching has correctly placed <title> tags. In fact, the pages are all built on a template with <title> tags in the header area.
          thegef.org/assembly
          John

Comment

You have placed your <title> tags within tags, so Zoom will ignore them.

-----
            David

Comment

title tags

Thanks for pointing that out. I have now moved the ZOOMSTOP in the template to below the title tag, updated all pages and re-indexed but am still seeing "No title" for all html pages.

Comment

My guess is that you have re-indexed the cached pages and not the new version. You can turn off caching from the General tab of the Zoom configuration window.

------
                David

Comment

title tags

David,
                  It wasn't that setting, but this morning I re-indexed and uploaded and all's well. Thanks to you and Raymond for your support. Despite my struggles with server settings, etc, I'm well impressed with the product.

Comment

Working...
                  X