specifying alternative title for pdfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• specifying alternative title for pdfs

I've read the FAQ on specifying my own title for pdfs.

If the pdf in question is on an external site and I upload a pdf.desc file (with an alternative title) to my website, the alternative title won't appear will it?

On a separate topic, when you are putting words in the skip list:

I need to specify "Exam" and "exam" to skip as skipping is case sensitive.

But I don't need to specify "Exams" and "exams" since they are already covered by the singular terms above.

Is that right?

Comment

Re: specifying alternative title for pdfs

Originally posted by will
      If the pdf in question is on an external site and I upload a pdf.desc file (with an alternative title) to my website, the alternative title won't appear will it?
      No. The .desc file must be hosted on the same domain and folder path as the original file. If you are unable to upload the .desc file to an external site, then you will not be able to specify an alternative description for that file.

Originally posted by will
      On a separate topic, when you are putting words in the skip list:

I need to specify "Exam" and "exam" to skip as skipping is case sensitive.

But I don't need to specify "Exams" and "exams" since they are already covered by the singular terms above.
      Are you referring to the "page skip list" or the "word skip list"?

The page skip list is case sensitive (since we are matching against URLs and filepaths). A page is skipped if the URL or filepath contains the skip list word, which means that, yes, an entry of "exam" would skip "exam.html" as well as "myfiles/exams/index.html".

The word skip list is NOT case sensitive. This means that "exam" will skip both "exam" and "Exam". It will also be matched against the whole word, so by default, it will not skip "exams" nor "Exams" UNLESS you begin the skip word with an "*" character. For example, a skip word entry of "*exam" will skip the following:
      "exams", "Exams", "exam", "Exam", "example", .. etc.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks, that was very helpful.

I was referring to the page skip list. So, to skip 'exam.html' or 'exams.html' I only need to specify "exam" in the skip list.

Comment

Working...
        X