No search results returned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No search results returned.

I have tried spider mode, offline mode (both locally and remotely),ASP, Java and CGI. In all cases the index seems to gather the required data, but when I actually upload the required files and perform a search is returns no results (even for files I see it has indexed). We have no issues using other ASP pages. This is a local win2k box running IIS.

Any Ideas on the possible cause?

Are there any error messages when you do a search. What you see when you do a search?

If you do a search for all words using ** (double star) do you get any result?

Can you post the URL to your ASP search function, so we can see the problem? If the site is not public can you still post the URL. I want to check you are actually linking to the search.asp file and not the template file.

-----
    David

Comment

Yes ** star returns results, but that seems to be it.

Comment

Not sure what was happening prior, but I have rebuilt the engine a few times with a couple of different options and it seems to be working, except for PDFs.

Comment

My guess is that you are not uploading the files correctly. You need to make sure you re-upload the entire set of required files, listed at the end of indexing, after each time you re-index. If you mix files from an older session with a newer set of index files, then this will lead to unexpected behaviour. All index files should be uploaded in binary mode as well (as opposed to text mode).

We recommend using the built-in FTP upload feature in Zoom to ensure that your files are always uploaded correctly.

We don't have enough information to determine what is wrong with your PDF files. You should make sure they are indexed correctly - whether there were any error messages when indexing the files (perhaps they are password protected) etc.

As David suggested, provide us with a URL to your search page and we can be alot more helpful. Otherwise, you'll need to give us more information (what you are searching for, an example of the file that is indexed but not showing up, etc.)
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

The site is an internal intranet. I have uploaded the entire directory here:
            http://www.3mbc.com/search.zip

Comment

In your 2nd last post you said, "...it seems to be working, except for PDFs".

So can you describe what the current problem is, in detail (if there is one). This will allow us to focus on the problem.

------
              David

Comment

It does not return any results for any PDF searches even though I can see them being indexed. If I search *.pdf* no results are returned where as if I do *.doc* all word docs are returned.

Comment

We had a look at your index files. No PDF files were indexed.

This should have been indicated in the Zoom Indexer window, during and after indexing.

You need to make sure that:
                  1.) You have correctly installed the PDF plugin and have added the ".pdf" file extension to your Scan Options list.
                  2.) The indexer is able to find your PDF files. This means that in Offline Mode, the PDF files are located within the start directory specified. In Spider mode, you need to make sure you have legitimate HTML links to the PDF files.
                  3.) The PDF files were successfully indexed. Check the index log (the window with the green/yellow/white lines) to see the progress of indexing, and if there were any errors while indexing your PDF files. Turn on verbose mode for more information. There is also a summary at the end on the number of errors encountered and the number of PDF files indexed.

If there is an error message when indexing the PDF file, it should tell you what the problem is. For example, your PDF files may be password protected and require you to specify the password in Zoom.

More information can be found in our FAQ:
                  Q. Why are some of my pages being skipped by the indexer?
                  Q. I am indexing with spider mode but it is not finding all the pages on my web site
                  Q. Why are some of my PDF files failing to index with a "PDF plugin error"?
                  --Ray
                  Wrensoft Web Software
                  Sydney, Australia
                  Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                  X