Plural-Singular in quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plural-Singular in quotes

If I search for "ball joint socket" (using quotes) but only the phrase ball joint sockets appear any where on my pages the ZOOM search engine will return No Matches.

If I take ball joint socket out of the quotes and run the search I will get results.

Is this by design? Meaning that without the quotes Zoom will look for plurals when singular words are entered and vice versa, but will not do so when quotes are used.

Is there a way to force it to look for both plural and singular words even though quotes are used?

There is no special handling of single/plural variations of words, so "ball joint socket" is indeed considered different to "ball joint sockets".

When you searched for ball joint socket (without quotes), it is most likely because the word "socket" appears elsewhere on the page in its singular form, although not part of the phrase. This is why it returns a result.

Wildcards can be used to allow searches to match plural forms, for example "socket*" will match both "socket" and "sockets" (as well as "socketblah"). However, wildcards can not be used within an exact phrase.

Also, you may often get a spelling suggestion regarding the alternative (singular/plural) form of the word if it is more common.

We have considered adding some form of automatic singular/plural searching, but there has not been much demand and it is not high in our todo list at this point.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Once again, thank you for the prompt and informative reply.

Comment

Working...
      X