Folder category?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder category?

I am testing Zoom search engine and I have a basic question before I decide to buy this software. Is it possible to add categories to allow a Search inside a Folder? It's for an offline Intranet site (or even a CD-ROM). I have three language folders that have 5 sub-folders each (culture; language; events, etc). I would like to enable the user to choose a folder to narrow his Search. Then, the Results would only show links inside the relevant folder (French/culture for instance). Is that possible? It would be great!
    Thanks
    Serge

Yes, the categories feature will do this for you. You could either create 3 sets of index files with 5 categories each, or a single set of index files with all 15 categories.

See the users guide for details on categories.
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html

---
    David

Comment

Cool! Thanks a lot. That is a good feature. However, I could add a category for a folder but I couldn't make a category for a sub-folder. I wanted for instance to have a category "French culture" for the pages of the folder culture inside the folder French, so I added the category Fench/culture but that doesn't work. Did I do something wrong?
      Thanks
      Serge

Comment

The files are categorised by the order in your category list. This means that should a category appear higher in your list with a matching pattern, a file will belong to that category and not a later category.

In your case, you most likely have something like the following:

"French" category (pattern: "french")
        "French culture" category (pattern: "french/culture")

This causes all files under /french/culture/ to have been grouped in the first category, and it never gets a chance to be filed into the second. You should instead have something like this:

"French culture" category (pattern: "/french/culture/")
        "French" category (pattern: "/french/")
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I get it! That's clever. But since I have 5 categories to make per language section, I guess it's better to have a separate search section for each language, otherwise, whatever the category order I set, I will not be able to have French Culture; French Country; French Language, etc...
          Is that right? I'll try this.
          Thanks
          Serge

Comment

Not necessarily. It depends on how each language section is organized. If you give us some examples of the URLs, we might be able to give some advice.

On the other hand, there are advantages to having a different search index per language. This allows each to use the specific charset/encoding suitable for that language, and its also alot faster to search (since a user searching for German is unlikely to also want a result in the English section).
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X