PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can our links or other websites come up in search results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can our links or other websites come up in search results?

Hi, I looked through your search and couldn't find the answer to this. Whenever I do a search of course my own pages come up as the main clickable link the search results. Is there a way I can have other pages come up in my search results as well as the top link instead of my own? I can't find the "more" option that I read about in some of these posts, is that only available in the pro addition? Thanks, Brad

If you want to index more than one site, you can click on the "More" button next to your start URL (in the Indexer window, on either the Spider mode or Offline mode tab). Here you can add additional sites to index. In spider mode, you can also specify how Zoom will follow the links for this URL. For more information, see chapter 2.1.4 in the Users Guide:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Ok thanks a lot. These next 2 questions will have answered all my questions about zoom. How many seperate url's are allowed in the pro addition using the "more" feature? ....and when you use the "edit" after choosing "more", can you edit each one highlighted individually, or does it edit all listed in "more" the same way.

Thank you, B.

Comment

There is no limit to the number of additional start points you can have. Indexing is only limited by the total number of pages, and the number of unique words indexed (as specified in the "Limits" tab of the Configuration window).

You can not "Edit" more than one start point at a time. If you wish to specify many start points with a specific option, we would recommend that you have them listed in a text file and add them using the "Import" feature. See ch 6.3 of the Users Guide for more information:
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Then I need to know what is the "maximum of files to scan" and " the limit files per start point" allowed for the pro edition. Thanks a lot. B.

Comment

Brad, you have exceeded your 2 question limit

Here are the details from the help file.

Max files to scan
            This specifies the number of web pages or files that can be scanned and included in the index.

Max unique words
            This specifies the number of unique words (NOT total words) that can be indexed. Note that the English dictionary generally has around 40,000 unique words.

Max. file size scanned
            This is the maximum size in KB (kilobytes) of a file that can be scanned. This is not the total size of all files indexed, just the size of the largest file to index. Also note that it is specified in KB, which means 1024 KB = 1 MB.

Max Description length
            The number of characters used for the description of each file, as shown in the search results. By increasing this amount, you can include a larger portion of text as the page description in your search results.

Limit pages per start point
            Allows you to specify a limit for each start point of the indexer, before it stops, and moves on to the next start point.

When using the more powerful CGI scripting option, there is no fixed limit on what you can enter in these fields. You are limited by the RAM in your machine and how much RAM Windows and your motherboard will support.

For example, Windows XP supports only 2GB if RAM for any application that is running (even if physically install 8GB of RAM).

-----
            David

Comment

LOL, I know it, didn't plan on it. Looks like you misunderstood my last question though. I wasn't asking what those fields meant, I wouldn't have put your through that. Sorry.

I meant for the pro addition what are the limits for those two fields. For instance in the free addition, you have a 50 limit. What is the "maximum of files to scan" limit and " the files per start point" limit for the pro edition. Thanks a lot. B.

Comment

It was answered. The answer was, "there is no fixed limit on what you can enter in these fields. You are limited by the RAM in your machine".

So if you tell me how much RAM you have in your box, I'll just you an estimate of the limit.

e.g.
                1GB RAM is roughly 150,000 max files. Maybe slightly more of less depending on other settings.

These limits will change in the next major release (V5). You will be able to index more documents with less RAM.

-----
                David

Comment

Well what a good program then, I kept thinking I was going to run into a snag. Any idea how much V5 will cost? B.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by your last comment. But let me point out a few things:

You will always be limited by your hardware. I think you will be hard pressed to find an alternative search appliance that will out perform Zoom, when running on the same set of hardware.

For reference, you should note that Google runs on over 100,000 desktop computers. They also have over 5000 terabytes of disk space storage. You're gonna need comparable hardware to achieve anything of that scale. Here's more information on Google's hardware:
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_platform

Version 5.0 will have the same pricing scheme as the current version. We will also offer free upgrades for users who have purchased Version 4.2 in the last 6 months and a discounted upgrade fee for older users (similar to the upgrade scheme we have at the moment).
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Not a problem, I didn't say anything about google. Just trying to figure out if I want to wait for the next version since I just heard about it a few messages ago. Will some small pictures links come up in the search results in the V5 version is we include them on our site as src links? If so what format do they need to be in, gif, jpg? ...and any size limits? Thank you very much. B.

Comment

If you purchase the software now, it will be a free upgrade to V5. (All upgrades are free for 6 months after a purchase).

GIF, PNG, TIFF & JPG will be supported.

We don't place any limits on image size (small or large).

You can link to an image via a direct link or via a embeeded on page [img][/img] link.

--
                        David

Comment

Well that is just too cool. What a great policy. You didn't say though if an image comes up in the search results, if so, how? Will V5 have all the great things left in it that the pro addition has? Just when I am sure I am done asking questions you tell me something else I need to know. I won't continue this much longer, promise. B.

Comment

More information about the image search will be revealed as we approach release of V5.0.

Basically though, they will appear alongside your search results. You will have the option to associate images with a certain page (so that when that page appears in your results, the image will appear alongside it), or you can allow images to be indexed and they will appear as individual results themselves (with the description/title showing meta information from the image).

And yes, of course, Version 5.0 will have all the features of the existing versions. We do not plan to remove any existing functionality.
                            --Ray
                            Wrensoft Web Software
                            Sydney, Australia
                            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                            X