Indexer does not start downloading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indexer does not start downloading

Recently, and all of a sudden the indexer (pro version) doesnt work anymore. When I click "Start indexing" with a well funcioning config it doesnt do a single thing. All that he tells me is:
    "Downloading file *HERECOMESMYBASEURL*"
    Then nothing happens.

Using it on a notebook in the same LAN environment works. Even deactivating Firewall or reinstalling Zoom didnt help. It really occured all of a sudden.

My first guess (like yours) would be firewall issues. If you are sure is it not a firewall problem I would.

1) Check you are using the latest version of Zoom. We have fixed a couple of crash bugs recently. But nothing that sounds like your problem.

2) Check the CPU usage. Is it at 100% when it freezes? If yes, this might be a known bug in Windows. This is caused by a bug in a component of Microsoft Windows (WinInet) which causes applications to stop responding and the Task Manager to show a CPU utilization of 100%. This is documented on the Microsoft website here: Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q263754. We also have more details in our FAQ.

3) Check you are not having intermittent problems with your internet connection. When Zoom didn't work, did you try browsing the the same site with IE?

If you still have a problem, can you post more details about your O/S, your Zoom version, the URL you are trying to index and if Zoom times out after a while or permanently freezes.

-----
    David

Comment

I am having the same problem. It occurs on both 4.2 and 4.0. It happens on my SONY VAIO laptop - I haven't tried it on another PC.

My CPU is not at 100%. It is close to 0%. This can't be a firewall or Internet problem because I'm trying to index a local site (the laptop is also set up as a Web server). However I also have the same problem trying to index a different site over the Internet.

This is the first time I have tried to use the spider mode. I have always used the offline mode without a problem.

BTW, it does not seem to time out. It just sits there. Another thing: When I hit the Stop Indexing button, it says "Stop indexing requested by user. Finishing up..." But it never finishes. It just stays like that and I have to kill the program.

Any ideas?

Comment

Make sure you are using the latest build of Version 4.2 (build 1013), available here:
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

You can check the version you currently have by clicking on Help->About.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I actually downloaded the latest version right after I posted my message. It didn't help.

Comment

You can e-mail us a copy of your ZCFG file, with the configuration you are using which is causing this lockup to occur. You should send us the config which is indexing a site which is accessible over the Internet (so that we can replicate this).

Note that it is normal for the indexer to wait for up to 1 minute, if a server is slow or unable to respond. The indexer however, should time out after 1 minute and move on.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I just e-mailed the config file to zoom [at] wrensoft [dot] com. The problem also occurs when I don't use the config file - when I just use the standard "startup" config.

Comment

We've received your email - further correspondence being made via email.

Originally posted by Maxx
                The problem also occurs when I don't use the config file - when I just use the standard "startup" config.
                This is a bit confusing - we're not quite sure what you mean here. Zoom always loads a config file upon starting. The default config file that is loaded is the "zoom.zcfg" file in the program files folder. If the problem occurs with this default file, then send us that one.

Note however, that if it is indexing your local site which is not accessible over the Internet, then we would not be able to reproduce the problem.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Update: Maxx's problem above was further discussed via e-mail, and was found to be caused by Norton Internet Security. Once he turned off Norton Internet Security, Zoom was able to download and index his site in spider mode successfully.
                  --Ray
                  Wrensoft Web Software
                  Sydney, Australia
                  Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                  X