Better Search Report??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Search Report??

Has anyone thought about making a webpage that displays the search results, instead of downloading the file each time to look at it?

Just wondering before i start working on it.

I think what you are suggesting is having a server-side script that processes the search statistics, as opposed to doing this on the desktop (where it needs to download the search statistics from the web server).

We have certainly thought about it, but have no plans to do so at the moment. The problem is that this would all need to be implemented as server-side scripts, and due to the number of scripting platforms we support (PHP, ASP, binary CGI), we would have to implement this across all of the above, and in many cases, each of these platforms have varying additional server-side requirements (such as image drawing modules) which are not commonly available on most web hosting environments. Even if you do this yourself, you may find out that alot of the modules providing image rendering and graphing capabilities (for drawing pie charts and graphs) may not be made available by your web host.

So, that's the reason for how it is at the moment. We do have plans to improve on the existing search report tool for the next major release, and we hope to make it more convenient with some new options such as allowing you to schedule automatic uploading of statistic reports to the website etc.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I see your point, perhaps if i make the asp page anyways and send it your way when done.

Since i have your attention I do have another question. Is there a way to change the name of the default page (search_template.html) I use the asp option and have to do certain things, so have it reference MyPage.asp instead? I normaly go in and change the settings.asp page to reflect the correct page, just wondering if there is a option to choose that or not.

Comment

If you wish to use an ASP page for your search template, see this FAQ for the recommended approach:
        Q. How can I add server-side scripting (eg. PHP, ASP) to the search template?

This would avoid you needing to modify the settings.asp file (which is not recommended, since it changes after every index). Hope that helps.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

That is what I did. I created a php page with all my header and footer information in it and used a <?php include("statistics.html") ?> command to bring in the file that Zoom created. I still have to run the reports, but then all I have to do is upload the "statistics.html" file that it creates.

Comment

Working...
          X