search.asp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• search.asp

I love your product, but I am having one problem.

I want my site to be reindexed at 1 a.m. each morning. However, every time I reindex my site, the search box disappears from the search.asp page. I have a backup search.asp file which, when I copy it back into my web site, fixes the problem. I tried making the search.asp file read-only, but it didn't help.

Can you give me guidance on how to deal with this problem?

Regards,

Donna

You are implying in your E-mail that the search.asp file generated by the indexer and your backup search.asp are somehow different. This should not be the case. In general you shoud not edit the search.asp file.

Have you customised the search.asp script? For what reason?

Can you post the URL to your search function so we can see what is going on.

-------
    David

Comment

I did not intentionally edit the search.asp file, although I have looked at it. I did edit the search_template.html file.

The search is being done on a restricted Intranet, so I can't give you the URL. I could email you the files.

Donna

Comment

What did you use to "look at" the "seach.asp" file? Some applications (such as FrontPage or Microsoft Word) can make disasterous modifications to HTML files in their attempts to be 'clever' with stripping out what they perceive to be unnecessary content. You may have unintentionally saved the file after it had made such changes as well.

I would recommend you re-install Zoom so that you can restore the original script files, and be careful not to load the scripts in such programs again, and see if that helps.

Please also take a look at the following FAQ for more information:
        Q. Why is there no search form on my search page?
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

Yesterday I completely uninstalled and then reinstalled Zoom. I am still having the problem. I did not regenerate the search_template.html file. I did, however, look in the search_template.html file to verify that is on the correct line. And I kept my old configuration file.

If the problem is in the template file, why does replacing the search.asp file fix it?

I am very confused. I am also sure that I've done something to cause this to fail, but I don't know what else to try other than re-doing the template and configuration files, which I'd rather avoid.

Comment

If the problem is in the template file, why does replacing the search.asp file fix it?
            We have not confirmed whether the problem is in your "search.asp" file or your search template (or something else all together). My suggestion before was that you may have unintentionally modified the "search.asp" file by opening it in FrontPage or a similar program, which would seem likely to be causing the problem you are seeing (and why your backup of the search.asp works fine).

Can you zip up your search files (search.asp, settings.asp, and all .zdat files) along with your ZCFG file, and e-mail them to us. We can then take a closer look at what is wrong.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

The zipped files are in the mail. Thank you!!

Comment

We had a look at your files.

Under the "Search Page" tab of the Configuration window, you have specified "Do not generate" for the "Search Form" option. This is the reason why your search box no longer appears. Set this back to "Advanced" for the default search form.

Make sure to save your config and re-index your site for this to take effect.

Your original post said that you were able to fix this by replacing the "search.asp" file from an older copy. This is unlikely to be the case as it should have no effect regarding this option. Perhaps you meant the "settings.asp" file instead. If this is true, and you have this file still set to "read-only" as you imply in your original post, make sure you undo this. The "settings.asp" file needs to be updated after every index.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                X