Indexing Excel Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indexing Excel Files

I know there was something else listed similar to this but I did not know if it applid so I am starting a new post.

I have a group of Excel files that I am indexing. The only problem is I have a database included in the files with raw data in it.

The problem is that data is being indexed so any time I search by a serial or model number I am getting every result.

I know that the ZOOMSTOP and ZOOMRESTART will only work in HTML but I also read in another post that all it is indexing is the text in Excel files.

I know there is a way to have it skip works but is there any type of formula or way to have it skip everything from one word to another? Basically the same way the HTML tags work.

Or is there any way to update the software so it skips everything between those words?

If you need more information or have any ideas please let me know.

There is currently no way to exclude a specific portion of an Excel file. You can skip the entire file all together of course, but just excluding a portion is not possible.

Here's something that might help though. You say that the Excel file is showing in your results too often because every serial number is in it. You may be able to lower the weighting of this file (and thus give preference to other web pages on the site) by changing the "Content Density" boosting option in the Configuration window, under the "Indexing Options" tab.

If you set this to "Strong adjustment", you should find that the file should appear lower down in the search results for a given word, and other web pages with the same word will be pushed further up.

Another approach, is to specify a negative ZOOMPAGEBOOST value (eg. "-5") for that XLS file. This allows you to lower the weighting for that specific file (as opposed to all large documents). You will need to create a ".desc" file to specify this meta tag for your XLS file.

More information on ".desc" files here:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...html#descfiles

More information on the ZOOMPAGEBOOST meta tag here:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...html#pageboost
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X