Search Template Outside of CGI Bin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Template Outside of CGI Bin

Is is possible to link the search.cgi to a template outside of the cgi-bin? The problem that I am having when modifying the template to fit the look of my site is that I have 2 components, 1 navigation bar and 1 navigation at the bottom of the page. I guess the way these items actually work is basically they "build on the fly" when the page is viewed online. It is some sort of scripting that causes it to work. These items will not "build on the fly" inside of the cgi-bin. Any suggestions?

I don't think the directory that you have the files in is the problem.

More likely you are trying to add your own scripts to the search_template.html file and they are not working. Irrelevant of the directory.

There are some solutions here,
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/faq_ssi.html

-----
    David

Comment

Are you familiar with the components that Adobe golive creates?

Comment

No.

---
        David

Comment

A component is really nothing more than an html file that you place inside of a component folder within the adobe software. If you dont mind take a look at: www.americanairworks.com. The source shows it as what maybe a javascript. In a case such as this, can you suggest a work around. Believe it or not I have had it working for probably 6 month, but I decided to add the search to another site and they are both on the same computer, someone told me I had a phone call and I deleted the wrong files from the cgi-bin. And for the life of me I cannot remember how I managed to get it to show the navigation on the left and bottom.

Comment

I had a look at your search funciton here,
            http://www.americanairworks.com/cgi-...rch/search.cgi

All your Javascript link and many of you image links are broken. This is nothing to do with Zoom or the CGI-BIN drectory.

You have lot of HTML source code (that you must have put in search_template.html) like this,

<csimport user="file:///Users/aa/Desktop/airworks.com/airworks/web-data/Components/nav-bar.html" occur="92">

CSInit[CSInit.length] = new Array(CSILoad,/*CMP*/'home',/*URL*/'file:///Users/aa/Desktop/airworks.com/airworks/web-content/nav-bar/home_01.gif',/*URL*/'file:///Users/aa/Desktop/airworks.com/airworks/web-content/nav-bar/home_01-over.gif',/*URL*/'','');

[img]file:///Users/aa/Desktop/airworks.com/airworks/web-content/images/unitel_button.gif[/img]

Note that all the file:// links will never work on a internet web site.

------
            David

Comment

Oh, one more thing.

Don't answer the phone while deleting files

---
              David

Comment

Actually the broken links you are referring to are an unusual situation. I knew those were there I just wanted you to take a look at the code that is generated for the navigation bar. Regarding the broken links, for some reason uploading an html page from the local machine to the cgi-bin changes the links to refer to the local machine rather than the usual upload that keeps the link in it's true state. I am going to try to move a template page from my actual web server to the cgi-bin and that will take care of the problem and the broken links you saw as well. I will let you know, it looks like "broken links" have been mentioned in your forum before and that may be the answer.

Comment

Your broken links to local files (as described by David) are the cause of your current problem. This is a GoLive usage issue, but as your last post suggest, you have recognized this, and can fix this by uploading with the proper procedure for your web page authoring software.

However, I think the original problem you are referring to is most likely due to the fact that the image links in your GoLive component is dependent on the folder it can be stored in. At the moment, the rest of your site all sits under the one folder, so these links do not change. However, since you are required to have the search_template.html within your "cgi-bin" folder, the paths in your GoLive component have to change to reflect this.

We are not familiar with using GoLive, but I am sure this is possible since they must allow you to have pages in different folders which share the same component. Check the GoLive documentation on how to do this. You may simply need to create a new page in GoLive that sits in "cgi-bin" to begin with, and then add the CSS and tag to make your own search_template.html file. See chapter 5.6 in our Users Guide for more information on the search_template file:
                  http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html
                  --Ray
                  Wrensoft Web Software
                  Sydney, Australia
                  Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                  X