Searching with words that use "-"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching with words that use "-"

For words that use hyphens, example: when a user searches custom-led growth, the correct page comes up first, but if the user searches customer led growth then the correct page didn't come up in the first 10 search results pages. How can I fix this so if a user searches either way (with and without a -) that the correct page comes up?

Thanks,
    -Adam

The behaviour is correct.
    "custom-led" and "custom led" and "customer led" are not the same search phrase and the results can be expected to be different.

You can change the indexing behaviour for hyphens from the Zoom configuration window on the "indexing options" tab.

This allows you to specify if custom-led gets indexed as 2 words or one. custom-led or custom led

If you want both at the same time then you need to make sure the hyphen is a join character on the "indexing options" tab and then add all variations of the word on the page in question. As meta data if required

I was going to suggest create a synonym in the Zoom configuration window. But in your case you have phrases that you want to make equivalent, not just words. So this won't work.

-------
    David

Comment

woops sorry about that, actually I searched "customer-led growth" (result I wanted appeared first) and "customer led growth" (result didn't appear in first 10 pages) sorry about my typing mistakes. Would your response be the same to this?

Comment

Almost the same answer except you might be able to create a synonym in the Zoom configuration window.

customer-led = customer

This synonym would not totally fix the problem however. So you still might need to spice up the page with meta data.

----
        David

Comment

Further clarification:

If you have "Hyphens" enabled in the "Indexing Options" tab of the Configuration window, and the actual page content contains the text:

customer-led growth
          Then a search for:
          customer-led growth
          will find the page. However, a search for:
          customer led growth
          will NOT find the page. This is because you have asked Zoom to consider "customer-led" as a specific, unique word according to your configuration.

Now, if you have "hyphens" unchecked in the "Indexing Options" tab, a search for:
          customer-led growth
          will find the page as before, but
          customer led growth
          will ALSO find the same page. This is because Zoom now considers the hyphen as a separator of words - both in the search query, and in the index. This means that it is now looking for 3 separate words in both of the above search queries.

Hope that helps to make this clearer. You can click on "Help" in the "Indexing Options" window for more examples.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
          X