Trouble Reading Excel File Properties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble Reading Excel File Properties

Is there a problem that Zoom has in reading the file properties of an Excel file? I was certain that the properties of an Excel file would be read just like those of a Word Doc or PDF file. Has anybody seen this? Now what happens is the file name appears in the results list instead of the title specified in the file properties.
    Austin

The Excel plugin does not currently support the ability to retrieve the Title and other document meta information from within the file. We recommend the use of .desc files to specify custom titles and descriptions:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...html#descfiles
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

How about Powerpoint files? Do they also have the same issue?
      Austin

Comment

Ok, I've enabled .desc files to be used for my site search. Only problem at this point is that the title I've specified in the .desc files is not being used as the result title. The meta description, however, is being used which makes me wonder why it is using one meta data and not the other. Could you comment on this and also whether Powerpoint file properties can be read using the plugin or if .desc files should be used instead. Thanks.

AD
        Austin

Comment

No, Powerpoint files do not have the same problem. Powerpoint meta data can be extracted if you have the option, "Use meta information from plugins" turned on in Zoom.

Can you post the contents of your .desc file. Maybe there is a syntax error in it.

Could you also post the URL to the Excel file in question if it is available for public access.

-----
          David

Comment

Here is a sample of the .desc file I am trying to use. I can't give you the URL for the site because it is an intranet site. I hope this doesn't hinder getting to the resolution.

<title>Project Closeout Measurement Report Template</title>
            <meta name="description" content="Template should be used on each Information Technology (IT) Project to assist in completing this report">
            <meta name="keywords" content="Template">

AD
            Austin

Comment

We've looked into this and have identified a bug with the latest build (4.2.1007) when retrieving titles from .desc files for Excel documents.

This will be fixed in the next build (4.2.100 to be released before the end of this week. Sorry for the inconvenience.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
              X